Nvidia GeForce 210
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Howdy,

I realise that newer versions of Chimera (1.7.0) and MultiBeast (4.2.0) were just released. However, I thought I should report this bug associated with the previous versions in case it was overlooked. I'm unsure if this is a common or isolated issue.

Basically, when using MultiBeast (4.1.0) for a UserDSDT installation or a separate Chimera (1.6.0) installation, the boot loader fails to install correctly. Essentially, after running MultiBeast (4.1.0), the UniBeast USB drive (with an extracted version of Chimera 1.6.0 copied to the root directory) will need to be used again to access Disk Utility and Terminal to manually install the boot loader.

When the installation screen appears, Disk Utility will need to be used to unmount the OS X Lion partition and then Terminal will need to be used to copy "boot1h" from the USB drive to the OS X Lion partition using:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

If you require any additional information, please let me know!

Re: Chimera 1.6.0 Boot Loader Install Fails (MultiBeast 4.1.0)

I performed another OS X Lion installation using MultiBeast 4.2.1 with Chimera 1.7.0 and the above mentioned issue is still apparent. It appears that whilst the OS X Lion partition is mounted, MultiBeast is unable to write the "boot1h" file correctly. Perhaps this could be a good reason to implement an EFI partition installation option into MultiBeast? Regardless, I appreciate all the hard work that goes into developing these utilities. Have a great Christmas!

What kind of disk are you installing on?

I recently did a clean install of Lion 10.7.2 using MultiBeast 4.2.0 with no issues on the following hardware:

GA-Z68XP-UD3
i7-2600K OC'ed to 4.5 GHz
WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 1TB 6.0 Gb/s HD

So I have no idea what your issue is as Chimera 1.7.0 has been successfully installed on numerous systems with no issues.

Hi MacMan,

The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB (ST500DM002). I just noticed it has 4K sectors, much like the Western Digital Caviar Green hard drives that many have reported issues with. Incompatible hard drive, perhaps?

Domokun said:
Hi MacMan,

The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB (ST500DM002). I just noticed it has 4K sectors, much like the Western Digital Caviar Green hard drives that many have reported issues with. Incompatible hard drive, perhaps?
Correct, there is an issue with the version of dd in OS X and drives with 4K sectors. The current work around is to boot from a different volume or install boot1h using the following command in Linux:

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sda2 bs=4096

The above command assumes that booth is in the current directory and the target drive is /dev/sda2.

Thanks for the reply, MacMan.

Everything works fine using the method that I described in the original post, even if it is a slight inconvenience. I'll have to purchase a different hard drive for my next build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back