Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Update: This initial problem has been solved by recreating the UniBeast flash drive, but I've encountered other errors (see 3rd post). Thread title has been updated accordingly.

---------------------------
Problem: Can't get to ML install using UniBeast 1.5.3

Background info:
MB: GA-Z77X-UP5 TH / F4 firmware
CPU: Intel i7-3770K
GPU: On-board HD4000
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 - tried as 16 GB in slots 1&2 and as 8 GB in slot 1
PS: Corsair CMPSU-650HX
HD - tried each of the following individually plugged into SATA2 port
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s
Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM - tried connecting via either the DVI port or Thunderbolt port (with DVI adapter cable) on the motherboard
Flash Drive: AmazonBasics 16 GB USB 2.0 with UniBeast and ML
Keyboard: Kensington USB
Mouse: Basic microsoft optical two button mouse with wheel

Keyboard, mouse and install flash drive connected on rear MB USB 2.0 ports

Installed UniBeast 1.5.3 on above listed flash drive on 8/23/12 with an iMac with the following:
3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

UniBeast was installed on the flash drive using Tony's guide and a purchased version of ML from the App Store (purchased on 8/23/12).

Installation process:

• First checked the bios firmware - it came from the factory with f4
  • I followed Tony's basic instructions and set the bios to optimized defaults
  • Since I'm a total Hackintosh noob, my first installation try was with all defaults (no options set) and USB stick plugged into USB 3.0 port. This just hung at the apple logo with the "Prohibited" symbol shown. Investigation led me to find out that I shouldn't use USB 3.0. Moved the stick to non-USB 3.0 port and started trying different boot settings and combinations (-v -x, -s, GraphicsEnabler=No/Yes, PCIRootUID=1/0) and started getting the below errors (from verbose mode):
    • bootcachecontrol unable to open /var/db/bootcache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory
    • ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
    • Warning: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCUPIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU 0x3a
      -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported
    • AppleIntelE1000e: Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (X'd out to prevent any security issues)
  • Always, when getting the errors, I see :beachball: at the top left corner of my screen. This will spin for a minute or so and then the computer powers down.
  • I also tried going through Alpha147x's guide and made sure I had my bios settings the same as his. Trying the different boot options as above still yielded the same errors.
  • I also downloaded the f4 firmware (from Gigabyte) and re-flashed the bios and then retried all the above steps to no avail

At this point, I think any/all of the following could be a problem:
  • My UniBeast flash drive install wasn't correct
  • The Mac OS X version used to install UniBeast is not compatible (although it is greater than 10.6.6)
  • The iMac I used is at work and is logged in as our general "Mac" user. Maybe something is wrong with the permissions of the files on the flash drive.

My next step:
  • Re-create flash drive using another Mac (in my office) running ML

So, before asking for a ton of help before my re-attempt, is there anything I should be looking at on the UniBeast flash drive to ensure all files are correct, in the proper location and have the proper permissions?

Thanks in advance,
TJ

Can't install on GA-Z77X-UP5 TH with HD4000

OK, I've recreated my UniBeast flash drive with the following:

UniBeast 1.5.3
iMac mid 2011 with:
3.1 GHz Core i5
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
8 GB 1333 DDR3
OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)

The creation of the UniBeast bootable USB drive went fine and exactly as the directions indicated. But, as a test to make sure the drive was OK, I ejected it after the creation and then re-inserted it. OS X complained with the following:

Mac OS X can't repair the drive "USB."

The message window said I'd still be able to read/copy the files on the drive (and that is correct). I ejected again and will hope for the best when I get home.

Is this normal for a UniBeast bootable drive? I also got this error when I first plugged in the drive this afternoon to re-create the bootable drive. If it's not normal, I'm guessing the flash drive is bad.

I'll update in about an hour when I get home but any insight into this latest error message would be helpful.

This is becoming my sort of "Hackintosh Gone Wrong" blog but hopefully I'll get it fixed and this will help someone in the future...

OK. I ran the newly re-created UniBeast and got past my errors. Although, the BootCacheControl and Unknown CPU errors are still there. See the attached screenshot.

UniBeast verbose output.jpg

The install paused at this point but then proceeded on to the OS X Welcome screen. I started up the install, formatted my SSD and started the install. At about 9 minutes left (about 60% on the installation progress bar), the install failed. I then tried one of my 3 TB disk drives and got the same errors. See the attached log for errors.

View attachment Installer Log 27-Aug-2012.txt

From searching this forum for some of the errors, I'm inclined to think the UniBeast install is corrupt and most likely the Amazon basics memory stick is bad. I'll be picking up a new 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer stick tomorrow and will try again.

Edit: One more question... Are there any issues with permissions on the UniBeast flash drive? I noticed from Terminal on my target box that the USB flash drive is read-only. Could this be causing install problems?

Create Unibeast again using a different USB drive.

Change USB

Any progress?

First off, thanks everyone for the help. I now have a working ML 10.8.1 installation! I used the new 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer I purchased yesterday (only $5.99 from my local Best Buy) and the install went off without a hitch.

Shortly after connecting my two 3 TB drives (not sure if it's related though) I started receiving error windows with a "Because a USB device was drawing too much power..." message. I shut down, disconnected the drives and still got the message. I even went so far as disconnecting the only two USB peripherals (Apple wired keyboard and generic MS optical mouse) and still got the message. I completely shut down, disconnected the power supply A/C cable and let the computer sit for about 5 minutes. I reconnected the mouse and keyboard and powered back up. The message has not yet come back.

I'm going to leave the hardware configuration as is for a bit (i.e. not connect the two drives) and see how things go.

My next goal will be to get bluetooth up and running.

Now that I have a successful build, how to change the subject of the thread so it indicates so in the forum?

Shortly after connecting my two 3 TB drives (not sure if it's related though) I started receiving error windows with a "Because a USB device was drawing too much power..." message. I shut down, disconnected the drives and still got the message. I even went so far as disconnecting the only two USB peripherals (Apple wired keyboard and generic MS optical mouse) and still got the message. I completely shut down, disconnected the power supply A/C cable and let the computer sit for about 5 minutes. I reconnected the mouse and keyboard and powered back up. The message has not yet come back.
I

I have seen the same message and others as well. One person replaced his MoBo but in my case I disconnected the front usb port connectors and plugged them back in again, rebooted and have not seen it since (even though the port specified was one of the usb 3.0 on the back). Was thinking could be hardware or could be an issue with the bios as well, I see the UP5TH is up to F9 already!!

Glad you got your system up.

My next goal will be to get bluetooth up and running.
Based on some other comments in this forum and the fact that this is listed as Mac compatible, I went ahead and bought the Kinivo BTD-300 Bluetooth USB Adapter. I was away over the holiday weekend and had my first chance to try it out tonight. My hackintosh recognized it right away and it effortlessly paired with my Magic Mouse.

Next up will be setting up a windows boot drive and starting to migrate my applications and data from my old PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back