Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Can’t instal nvidia drivers after buying exactly the parts that were suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I got mine working. Not sure if I can help you in any way, but if you have any specific questions regarding what I did, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.
Also, did you install any extra kexts with Clover Configurator or MultiBeast? I have the NvidiaFixup kext (that's not the exact name), but was there another one that needed installed?

I've changed ACPI as instructed, but still can't just boot from SSD's UEFI. I still have to boot from the USB.

The good news is that instead of getting stuck where I was getting stuck before, with all those errors, I can see the verbose logs go through all the way to the end, until I get on that loop with those two lines.

can you tell me which version bios you used ..

Definitely!

Here is the config.plist

Obviously you want to use the serial numbers from your own installation, so that we don't end up with conflicting builds.

Also, there's a pic of what I have in two folders, which turned out to be pretty important.

[kexts/OTHER] folder and [drivers64UEFI]

In the kexts/OTHER folder you should have the same kexts I have there.

In the drivers64UEFI I had all the drivers that were necessary, except for that one EmuVariableUefi-64.efi which I had to install to make sure the selection from integrated graphics to the NVIDIA graphics card (in the NVIDIA Preferences Pane) would save.

Without that .efi the selection would always get reset every time you restart.

One thing I may suggest is the use of this script called "altnvweb-107.sh"

It's in the first comment, at the bottom of the instructional on how to install the NVIDIA drivers for High Sierra 10.13.1 here on the site. I have the feeling that it helped a lot as well.

Give it a go and let me know. I would love to find out if you succeed.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 11.32.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 11.32.50 PM.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 11.35.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 11.35.24 PM.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 68
can you tell me which bios version you used example - f20 .

I just updated the BIOS of my motherboard today to the latest version (F7) but I was having the same problems both before AND after the BIOS update.

Definitely!

Here is the config.plist

Obviously you want to use the serial numbers from your own installation, so that we don't end up with conflicting builds.

Also, there's a pic of what I have in two folders, which turned out to be pretty important.

[kexts/OTHER] folder and [drivers64UEFI]

In the kexts/OTHER folder you should have the same kexts I have there.

In the drivers64UEFI I had all the drivers that were necessary, except for that one EmuVariableUefi-64.efi which I had to install to make sure the selection from integrated graphics to the NVIDIA graphics card (in the NVIDIA Preferences Pane) would save.

Without that .efi the selection would always get reset every time you restart.

One thing I may suggest is the use of this script called "altnvweb-107.sh"

It's in the first comment, at the bottom of the instructional on how to install the NVIDIA drivers for High Sierra 10.13.1 here on the site. I have the feeling that it helped a lot as well.

Give it a go and let me know. I would love to find out if you succeed.

Haha! All I did was add the kexts/Other stuff and the UEFIVariable, and now I am running my 1080 with 0 issues. You and everyone else on this thread are lifesavers.

I've changed ACPI as instructed, but still can't just boot from SSD's UEFI. I still have to boot from the USB.

The good news is that instead of getting stuck where I was getting stuck before, with all those errors, I can see the verbose logs go through all the way to the end, until I get on that loop with those two lines.
in this case you change your fake ID it's work for me

Haha! All I did was add the kexts/Other stuff and the UEFIVariable, and now I am running my 1080 with 0 issues. You and everyone else on this thread are lifesavers.

That's awesome. I'm glad you got it figured out.

No credit to me. cmn699 and trs96 were the ones who were willing to stick with it and help me out. All the credit goes to them.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Finally I was able to boot reliably, and then install the NVIDIA drivers for High Sierra 10.13.1 and have it all worked as expected — and it's a beautiful thing!

I still don't know if Bluetooth or Audio work, because I don't have a bluetooth receiver or a speaker attached to this machine yet (I'll try tomorrow) but for now this is fantastic.

Thanks for your help. It really made a world of difference — I was completely lost (still kinda am)

So, if I wanted to do this all over again, with the same exact equipment, or if I had to start from scratch, what would be the best way to, say, save the current configuration and be able to re-install it without having to do the step by step thing all over again?

Regardless, I will be going back through the replies and trying to collect all the info in one centralized location, just in case.

Thanks again!

I compared your first post and this last post and found a world of difference. :)
That I call the Power of Self Education from passion and dedication!
It is easy to blame anything and everything. But introspection and drawing strength from deep within us will carry the day.
All the rest are venting frustration.
I wish most who post here will use the first few emoticon in the list and avoid the last 2/3rd!

• My approach after the first partially or fully successful build, is to Clone that disk and keep that copy safe just in case the original breaks down from any number of causes.
    • I use the freeware Clonezilla a Linux software that can easily and reliably create cloned disk from different Operating Systems like Windows/Mac and Linux and from spin disk to SSD back and forth. I have not tested the new APFS disk cloning yet from lack of time.
    • Most important to remember is to use a Target disk of EQUAL or LARGER size. Clonezilla cannot clone a larger disk into a smaller disk!
    • If you are interested to know more about Clonezila cloning, you may check #2
  • After making a clone, I often go back to my concurrently created Screen shots and notes to separate all the chaff and pick up the kernels and start combing them to see if it is a readable manual with good flow I can use to build a new system disk.
  • I create a new System disk from scratch to sharpen my skills and answer questions from my memory.
  • I often upload a further edited writeup with illustrations to this Forum for folks to use as a template.
You may have a different approach, But whatever fits your way of thinking , do something to clean up the mistakes and create a good manual for yourself.

Please do something good for this Great Forum for all the material they provide and all the Help they give and for the research they conduct. I always want to mention the names of folks like RehabMan and Toleda who are giant pillars of this Forum as you can see from their guides and postings. The great Moderators in this Forum help and support those who ask questions and follow the Forum rules. They show no mercy to discipline us for infractions!:lol:

Please prefix the Title of your post [SOLVED] to close and others to read it as a reference and not to post questions below your post.
You may edit the post to make it useful to you and others making it look better with illustrations and clarifications in the text.
Congratulations :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back