i7 3770
Graphics
HD4000 & Nvidia GTX 770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I've got an external Mercury Elite Pro HDD with USB 3.0 and FW 800 ports. My Hack has two USB 3 ports on rear and two on front panel.

I went ahead and attached the external drive to my Hack via USB 3.0 cable, turned on the drive and then turned on the Hack. When it arrives to the Apple/spinning gear, it takes forever to finally get to desktop. At this point, I see there is no USB drive mounted on the desktop. I then check via Apple System under USB and it shows the Mercury Elite. I then launched Drive Utility and there's no sign of the drive.

I then reboot and the same events occur.

Next, I try the other three ports. Same results. At this point, to see if the ports are working properly, I insert a USB thumb drive into the USB3 ports and the drives mount and I can even copy files to them.

I then try the Mercury again and this time my Hack freezes. I then reboot and it shuts off. So I unplug the drive and restart. Everything back to normal.

Anyone know what's causing all this chaos? I remember using this drive with my "real" Mac Mini and there being strange issues related to the drive being too close to the Mac. Using a heavy duty shielded and longer USB 3.0 cable solved most of those issues which were Bluetooth related. Reeked havoc on my Magic Mouse at the time.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I've got an external Mercury Elite Pro HDD with USB 3.0 and FW 800 ports. My Hack has two USB 3 ports on rear and two on front panel.

I went ahead and attached the external drive to my Hack via USB 3.0 cable, turned on the drive and then turned on the Hack. When it arrives to the Apple/spinning gear, it takes forever to finally get to desktop. At this point, I see there is no USB drive mounted on the desktop. I then check via Apple System under USB and it shows the Mercury Elite. I then launched Drive Utility and there's no sign of the drive.

I then reboot and the same events occur.

Next, I try the other three ports. Same results. At this point, to see if the ports are working properly, I insert a USB thumb drive into the USB3 ports and the drives mount and I can even copy files to them.

I then try the Mercury again and this time my Hack freezes. I then reboot and it shuts off. So I unplug the drive and restart. Everything back to normal.

Anyone know what's causing all this chaos? I remember using this drive with my "real" Mac Mini and there being strange issues related to the drive being too close to the Mac. Using a heavy duty shielded and longer USB 3.0 cable solved most of those issues which were Bluetooth related. Reeked havoc on my Magic Mouse at the time.

Thanks in advance!

Never mind! Sorry folks, my wife changed out the power supply and the one being used didnt have enough juice for the drive to function properly.

This post can be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back