Contribute
Register

[Solved] Can not invoke Restart or Shutdown via GUI anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Something odd has happened after several years of trouble free operation, I can not successfully restart or shutdown my system using the apple menu restart or shutdown commands, the system attempts to respond but enters a black screen state with a white pointer arrow at top left, need to hold the power button to eventually force it off. I can however use the terminal to issue sudo reboot or sudo shutdown commands and these will work but the usual GUI finder commands do not.

First noticed this when attempting to install the downloaded 10.13.4 update from the App Store as the restart command on screen would not work to begin the installation it just went to the black screen with mouse pointer instead of rebooting. It came back on 10.13.3 as the update did not start. Used terminal to process the software update and now running 10.13.4 but the same restart behaviour remains.

Anyone else have trouble with restart / shutdown suddenly not working or have any ideas what may be wrong?

Z97X-UD7 TH, i7 4790k stock speeds macOS10.13.3 and 10.13.4, Nvidia 1080Ti, Samsung SSD 960 Pro Nvme.

Last edited:
Going to reinstall via Time Machine from a restore point earlier last week.

Something odd has happened after several years of trouble free operation, I can not successfully restart or shutdown my system using the apple menu restart or shutdown commands, the system attempts to respond but enters a black screen state with a white pointer arrow at top left, need to hold the power button to eventually force it off. I can however use the terminal to issue sudo reboot or sudo shutdown commands and these will work but the usual GUI finder commands do not.

First noticed this when attempting to install the downloaded 10.13.4 update from the App Store as the restart command on screen would not work to begin the installation it just went to the black screen with mouse pointer instead of rebooting. It came back on 10.13.3 as the update did not start. Used terminal to process the software update and now running 10.13.4 but the same restart behaviour remains.

Anyone else have trouble with restart / shutdown suddenly not working or have any ideas what may be wrong?

Z97X-UD7 TH, i7 4790k stock speeds macOS10.13.3 and 10.13.4, Nvidia 1080Ti, Samsung SSD 960 Pro Nvme.
  • Problem with BIOS options and or CLOVER>config.plist>ACPI can cause the issue.
    • In BIOS if "Wake on LAN is ENABLED" or "ErP is DISABLED" it can affect Shut Down and Reboot problem.
  • If you can upload your config.plist, I can check and see if anything can be done to fix the problem provided you look in the BIOS the problems in Peripherals , Chipset and Power ( these menus vary with boards ).

Well, well.

After a five hour time machine erase and restore I'm back to last Wednesday. Great - 10.13.3 and restart / shutdown work every time.

Begin to apply the 10.14.4 combo update and as soon as it says restart to install it fails. Machine now fails to restart or shutdown.

Aarrrrgh!!!!

• Problem with BIOS options and or CLOVER>config.plist>ACPI can cause the issue.
    • In BIOS if "Wake on LAN is ENABLED" or "ErP is DISABLED" it can affect Shut Down and Reboot problem.
  • If you can upload your config.plist, I can check and see if anything can be done to fix the problem provided you look in the BIOS the problems in Peripherals , Chipset and Power ( these menus vary with boards ).
Bios settings are ok, WOL is disabled.

Booting from Clover USB to USB OSX still works with full restart/shutdown, as does booting into recovery.

However booting SSD OSX now does not work with restart/shutdown nor does booting from USB clover into SSD OSX. This only changed after applying the first step of the apple software update to 10.13.4 which somehow broke my system's functionality to shutdown and restart from the GUI.

Bios settings are ok, WOL is disabled.

Booting from Clover USB to USB OSX still works with full restart/shutdown, as does booting into recovery.

However booting SSD OSX now does not work with restart/shutdown nor does booting from USB clover into SSD OSX. This only changed after applying the first step of the apple software update to 10.13.4 which somehow broke my system's functionality to shutdown and restart from the GUI.
I am talking about your "SSD-OSX" which has an EFI partition with CLOVER and its subfolders and config.plist.
It's config.plist_ ACPI has fixes . If they are not properly set up , you will have Shut Down issues when you click Apple> Shut Down... [ENTER] even when your BIOS are Set OK.

I am talking about your "SSD-OSX" which has an EFI partition with CLOVER and its subfolders and config.plist.
It's config.plist_ ACPI has fixes . If they are not properly set up , you will have Shut Down issues when you click Apple> Shut Down... [ENTER] even when your BIOS are Set OK.
config.plist attached

One good thing about APFS is the snapshots feature and I'm back with a working system again. Update pending until we fix this

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.9 KB · Views: 195
config.plist attached

One good thing about APFS is the snapshots feature and I'm back with a working system again. Update pending until we fix this

• I have a GA-Z97X-UD5H with Intel i5-4690K (IntelHD4600) where I have installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.4(17E199) which once had a difficult to fix Shut Down and reboot on Shut Down problem which after a long troubleshoot I had fixed while running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. After that fix it has been having no problem.
  • I am uploading my config.plist >ACPI -1 and ACPI-2 along with yours marked as RR_ACPI-1 and RR_ACPI-2 and also my BIOS _Power Management screen shot and :"About This Mac>Overview" screen shot.
  • As you can see you have too many "Fixes" in your ACPI . Unless they were specifically chosen to mitigate a known problem and found to be effective, I believe , they can actually cause problem due to Power Management issues leading to Shut Down problem.

• I don't have SSD in APFS in that system at present. But even with SSD in APFS in the past, I had no problem when I was using that as a Triple boot System once I fixed the problem as mentioned above.

Attachments

• 1.GA.Z97X BIOS PoweRMangement.png
    1.GA.Z97X BIOS PoweRMangement.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 259
  • 2.ACPI-1..png
    2.ACPI-1..png
    356.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 3.ACPI -2.png
    3.ACPI -2.png
    362.5 KB · Views: 293
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199).png
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199).png
    96.8 KB · Views: 282
  • RR_ACPI-1.png
    RR_ACPI-1.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 273
  • RR_ACPI-2.png
    RR_ACPI-2.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 238
  • I have a GA-Z97X-UD5H with Intel i5-4690K (IntelHD4600) where I have installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.4(17E199) which once had a difficult to fix Shut Down and reboot on Shut Down problem which after a long troubleshoot I had fixed while running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. After that fix it has been having no problem.
  • I am uploading my config.plist >ACPI -1 and ACPI-2 along with yours marked as RR_ACPI-1 and RR_ACPI-2 and also my BIOS _Power Management screen shot and :"About This Mac>Overview" screen shot.
  • As you can see you have too many "Fixes" in your ACPI . Unless they were specifically chosen to mitigate a known problem and found to be effective, I believe , they can actually cause problem due to Power Management issues leading to Shut Down problem.
  • I don't have SSD in APFS in that system at present. But even with SSD in APFS in the past, I had no problem when I was using that as a Triple boot System once I fixed the problem as mentioned above.
Thanks for taking the time to look at my config.

I have checked my BIOS and applied your config ACPI settings in clover config and retested. Sadly the problem still occurs whenever I start the upgrade be it App store, Combo update or delta update. Restart leads to black screen and white arrow and the system will not reboot. Mouse control can move the arrow but system will not restart without holding down the power button and forcing a shutdown.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my config.

I have checked my BIOS and applied your config ACPI settings in clover config and retested. Sadly the problem still occurs whenever I start the upgrade be it App store, Combo update or delta update. Restart leads to black screen and white arrow and the system will not reboot. Mouse control can move the arrow but system will not restart without holding down the power button and forcing a shutdown.
  • Since you had problems with direct upgrade and Clean install before, do you want to try to install a new system (10.13.4) on a new HDD?

If you decide to do that, I recommend the following steps: ( I am aware you are quite good with Terminal commands; but all readers of this post may not be and hence I am adding them)
  • Partition and format a 16GB Flash drive (like Kootion 16GB) using Disk Utility of RealMac / working Hack.
  • Test the shasum of downloaded macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 using Terminal command and check its alphanumeric string output using Google search to confirm you have a full Install macOS High Sierra 10.13.4.(17E199)
    • shasum /Applications/Install*OS*.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
  • Install the system on the formatted USB Flash disk named "Untitled" using the terminal command:
    • sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app
  • Download Clover EFI from RehabMan Clover_v2.4k_r4423.RM-4614.cf0897a3.zip and unzip and run on the newly created Install macOS High Sierra in UEFI mode
    • choose OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi in /drivers64UEFI
    • Edit CLOVER/kexts : Remove all numbered folders 10.6 to 10.13 leaving only Other
    • Copy and paste ESSENTIAL kexts to /CLOVER/kexts/Other [Latest FakeSMC.kext is a must; add also Ethernetkext+ Special kexts for your Video card, audio, or USB (Examples: Lilu.kext+IntelGraphicsFixup.kext+NvidiaGraphicsFixup+WhateverGreen.kext, FakePCIID.kext,FakePCIIDIntel_HD_Graphics.kext),FakePCIID_IntelHDMI_Audio.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext)]
    • Edit "Themes" folder if you are inclined to add your own and remove the defaults.
  • Physically Remove the NVIDIA GTX 1080ti from PCIE slot of shut down and Powered Off Computer MoBO under electrostatic precautions , and connect the Monitor to HDMI of Integrated Intel HD 4600 and then reboot.
  • Enter BIOS Setup and make the changes needed to boot UEFI USB using Intel HD 4600:
  • BIOS Features >Boot Option Priorities: Option#1 :UEFI USB Installer , all other devices DISABLED (See images)
  • Set the BIOS >Peripherals to use Initial Display: IGFX and DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory 128M, Legacy USB Support:ENABLED;XHCI Hand-off:ENABLED :EHCI Hand-off:ENABLED[See images]
  • Power Management : Wake On LAN: Disabled | ErP:ENABLED[See images]
Hopefully this time you will get a stable system working with Intel HD Graphics.
Later as second stage, install your Nvidia Graphics.

• Install Nvidia Webdriver
  • Edit CLOVER/kexts/Other to copy and paste Lilu.kext +NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext
  • Edit CLOVER/config.plist removing [√]InjectIntel in Graphics section and make sure System Parameters section has [√]NvidiaWeb and Inject Kexts [Yes] from earlier Nvidia Webdriver installation
  • Reboot >Del>BIOS > Peripherals >Initial Display: PCIE + Intel Processor Graphics : DISABLED
  • BIOS Features>Boot Option Priorities> Option#1 =UEFI maOC HS System Disk all other Devices DISABLED.
  • Save BIOS setup>Reboot in Verbose mode to find any problem to booting with PCIE Graphics

Attachments

• BIOS Features-1.png
    BIOS Features-1.png
    791.5 KB · Views: 107
  • BIOS Features-2.png
    BIOS Features-2.png
    988.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.BIOS_Peripherals.png
    2.BIOS_Peripherals.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • 3.BIOS_Power management.png
    3.BIOS_Power management.png