CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
hi,

I'm trying to change the Win10 volume name in clover boot to something else.
I've followed the guides here, but the Windows volume name stays the same. The assigned shortcut I gave win10 volume works, so as my mac volumes that changed.

Attaching boot log, config.plist and screen capture of the relevant window in clover configurator.

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    31 KB · Views: 196
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 22.26.31.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 22.26.31.png
    292.4 KB · Views: 523
  • config.plist
    7.5 KB · Views: 282
hi,

I've followed the guides here, but the Windows volume name stays the same. The assigned shortcut I gave win10 volume works, so as my mac volumes that changed.

Attaching boot log, config.plist and screen capture of the relevant window in clover configurator.

I think your entries in clover configurator for win10 are slightly out, generate your boot log and carefully note Win10 drive attributes and enter the details in the appropriate fields. Remove that small 'w' you have in the 'Hot Key' box, if you want to hide the windows drive from the clover boot menu, it should be F3 in that box. Also I don't think it's necessary to label the drive path, have a look at mine and it fully works very well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 20.38.35.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 20.38.35.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 488
hi,

The path to the executable doesn't exist
Code:
<string>\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw-orig.efi</string>
You should add Clover to your EFI boot menu. Otherwise just correct the path to whatever you, or Windows has renamed/repaired that file to.

What do you mean by "add clover to the Efi boot menu"?
I see that esafeddie's partition shows up as EFI, and mine is no name.
That is the uuid of the Efi partition.

Update: that invalid path tip did it. Checked the EFI partition on my windows volume (which was named "no name") and saw the filename in that path was named differently.
Fixed the path in the config and voila.

Thanks.

What do you mean by "add clover to the Efi boot menu"?
I see that esafeddie's partition shows up as EFI, and mine is no name.
That is the uuid of the Efi partition.
Yes, the path to bootmgfw.efi doesn't exist on the EFI partition. It is in the boot log.

Presumably you renamed that file so that Clover will load? You should add /efi/clover/cloverx64.efi to your firmware's boot menu instead.

Update: that invalid path tip did it. Checked the EFI partition on my windows volume (which was named "no name") and saw the filename in that path was named differently.
Fixed the path in the config and voila.

Thanks.
No problem.

Presumably you renamed that file so that Clover will load?

no, i've changed the path in clover configurator to the correct fiilename (mine didn't have the -orig suffix)

no, i've changed the path in clover configurator to the correct fiilename (mine didn't have the -orig suffix)
It's not supposed to. Firmware can be aware of the windows path (which makes sense) - coupled with obfuscating BIOS style boot options like 'boot this disk first, in 'UEFI mode' - causing it to load windows instead of whatever file happens to be installed at /efi/boot/bootx64.efi - as a workaround people started renaming files in /efi/microsoft (which doesn't make sense)

Last edited:
It's not supposed to. Firmware can be aware of the windows path (which makes sense) - coupled with obfuscating BIOS style boot options like 'boot this disk first, in 'UEFI mode' - causing it to load windows instead of whatever file happens to be installed at /efi/boot/bootx64.efi - as a workaround people started renaming files in /efi/microsoft (which doesn't make sense)

that may be the case when windows and mac are on the same partition, using the same EFI. in my case win10 and mac os are on separate volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back