Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX670 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I recently started to smell burning coming out of the case. Obviously that is a major call for concern. BUT I looked at the CPU temps and they were less than 50 degrees; all other temps looked fine as well. The only one that can't be monitored is the GPU. I stuck my head in the computer and smelled the card and thought it might be coming from that, but that card is running at stock settings so not sure why it would over heat.

I am overclocking the CPU at 4.5Ghz with a vcore of 1.43. I have corsair H100s (push pull) along with fans throughout the case. I am getting good air flow and again the temps according to HWmonitor look fine.

I don't have another GPU, CPU, or mobo to test with. I dropped the computer to stock and will do some editing/encoding tomorrow to see if I smell anything or if the computer resets.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Did I void all warranties by overclocking or could I drop things to stock and then send them in for warranty replacement?

Other strange issues: computer will not shut down. USB3.0 ports eventually stop working and I have to do a hard CMOS reset to get them going again.

Gigabyte X79-UD3
CPU: i7 X9730k
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX670 OC
RAM: 32GB Vengeance DDR3 RAM

burning smell and then shut down

Did I void all warranties by overclocking or could I drop things to stock and then send them in for warranty replacement?

Sorry to hear about the hardware burn up. Unfortunately, we aren't product warranty experts so you'll need to find out what the warranty limitations are from the manufacturer(s).

Sorry to hear about the hardware burn up. Unfortunately, we aren't product warranty experts so you'll need to find out what the warranty limitations are from the manufacturer(s).

Thanks, but that was more of a supplemental question that should have been phrased. I know that overclocking voids CPU warranties but if you bring it back to stock before sending it in does the manufacturer know that it was overclocked.

The main question is where do people think the burning smell could be coming from if the HWmonitor shows the temps are okay? Do all signs point to GPU?

I found the issue.

I have a push/pull configuration with the stock 120mm fans and third party 140mm fans. All fans were running off of the four power sources of the H100s. I removed the 140mm fans and plugged them into a dedicated fan splitter and no more smell or restart (the computer even shuts down...it wasn't before).

I guess that the 140mm fans were just too much to run from the single power source via the H100s.

Thanks for the help everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back