Contribute
Register

[Solved] Build Boot Stick that recognizes NVME before install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170M-D3H v1.0
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Does anyone have instructions for building or modifying an existing Unibeast boot stick to recognize NVME before install?

I have a machine build that I created by first installing the OS onto an SSD and then cloning it to NVME. After the cloning was finished, I installed the Piker Alpha patch (all 17 parts) and the machine booted from the NVME as it should. The SSD it was cloned from was then removed.

Since then there has been an OSX update that killed the ALC and Lilu kexts on that machine, requiring me to update them. Unfortunately, there is no longer a (sata) SSD in that machine (just the NVME) and my boot stick won't recognize that volume, so I'm not able to boot it to update the kexts, and don't have a separate SSD to install next to it for the purpose of updating 2 kexts. I also can't take the drive out and plug it into my toaster to transfer the files that way because it's an NVME and my toaster is SATA, and none of my other machines can read NVME.

I can't get it to start from the boot stick either which leads me to the following idea:

If I can modify my USB boot stick so that it recognizes NVME drives, I can put the updated kexts into a folder on it, boot into terminal and copy the updated files over, then reboot. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't get the installer to recognize the NVME (including in Disk Utility). I've tried opening the EFI partition on the USB stick and adding the Piker Alpha patches to the config.plist, but that doesn't seem to be working. The progress bar goes about 85% across very slowly and then just sits there (I left it overnight just to be sure).

So if someone can share way to modify my Sierra Boot stick so that it recognizes NVME, I would very much appreciate it!

I could probaby just wipe the whole thing and start over, but there are some apps and config customizations on there, as well as some data that I'd rather not have to sacrifice. Plus, I think this would be a handy solution overall for everyone if there was a way it could be done.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Just a suggestion. I installed High Sierra onto a standard SSD then CCC to my Samsung M2 NVME.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't end up finding a way to make my Sierra stick recognize NVME, but I discovered that a High Sierra boot stick will recognize it as-is. I ended up taking my chances and installing High Sierra, but if I hadn't, I probably could have applied the necessary patches to the NVME via terminal on a High Sierra boot stick.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I didn't end up finding a way to make my Sierra stick recognize NVME, but I discovered that a High Sierra boot stick will recognize it as-is. I ended up taking my chances and installing High Sierra, but if I hadn't, I probably could have applied the necessary patches to the NVME via terminal on a High Sierra boot stick.

I am currently attempting a Deskmini 110 Hackintosh project, and intending on using only one drive--an NVME drive--to save $ and energy and keep the heat down (tiny stx box]. I have experienced a few barriers, including the possibility of my installer not recognizing the NVME drive during preboot install (from the USB installer with Unibeast on it)-- I have not gotten it to fully boot, into the USB installer,as of yet...

Anyways, in post #3 quoted above, you suggest a High Sierra boot stick does indeed recognize NVME, and that you didn't need to go through all that patching, etc...Most of what I have been seeing are problems pre-10.13.*.
I am assuming you mean using Unibeast in 'normal' fashion.
--is that correct?

If so, then the normal Unibeast install procedure is all that is necessary [meaning that the drive is recognizable and one is able to install 10.13.* to the NVME without all the patching, etc.]? (I.e., using only the High Sierra USB stick (Unibeast & Multibeast method)?
Also, id you format it into the new Apple File System or HFS+ J? I have seen a few references suggesting there are slowing problems with the former format.
Finally, based upon what I have gathered thusfar, I can save a lot of time and hassle simply by installing to an SSD first and then cloning to the NVME later. Did you retry that with another SSD, & Is that your experience?

any solutions, advice or links re: getting the NVME boot disk (OS) installed would be greatly appreciated ;)
thanks...
--warmgeoff

I am currently attempting a Deskmini 110 Hackintosh project, and intending on using only one drive--an NVME drive--to save $ and energy and keep the heat down (tiny stx box]. I have experienced a few barriers, including the possibility of my installer not recognizing the NVME drive during preboot install (from the USB installer with Unibeast on it)-- I have not gotten it to fully boot, into the USB installer, as of yet...

Anyways, in post #3 quoted above, you suggest a High Sierra boot stick does indeed recognize NVME, and that you didn't need to go through all that patching, etc...Most of what I have been seeing are problems pre-10.13.*.
I am assuming you mean using Unibeast in 'normal' fashion.
--is that correct?

If so, then the normal Unibeast install procedure is all that is necessary [meaning that the drive is recognizable and one is able to install 10.13.* to the NVME without all the patching, etc.]? (I.e., using only the High Sierra USB stick (Unibeast & Multibeast method)?

Also, did you format it into the new Apple File System or HFS+ J? I have seen a few references suggesting there are slowing problems with the former format.

Finally, based upon what I have gathered thus far, I can save a lot of time and hassle simply by installing to an SSD first and then cloning to the NVME later. Did you retry that with another SSD, & Is that your experience?

any solutions, advice or links re: getting the NVME boot disk (OS) installed would be greatly appreciated ;)
thanks...
--warmgeoff

High Sierra supports third party NVMe SSDs natively, and therefore the High Sierra installation program as launched from an Unibeast USB stick will be able to recognize a NVMe SSD directly without you needing to do any patching (the "normal" fashion you refer to).

Sierra and earlier operating systems do not support third party NVMe SSDs (but Sierra does support the NVMe SSDs in real Macs), so their installation programs won't be able to recognize NVMe SSDs directly without patching.

If you are attempting to install High Sierra onto a NVMe SSD, the installation program will convert the SSD (but not mechanical hard disks) to APFS (Apple File System) format unless you specifically tell the installation program not to do so by using a special Terminal command.

You can of course first install High Sierra to another disk and then clone the system to your intended destination disk.

High Sierra supports third party NVMe SSDs natively, and therefore the High Sierra installation program as launched from an Unibeast USB stick will be able to recognize a NVMe SSD directly without you needing to do any patching (the "normal" fashion you refer to).

Sierra and earlier operating systems do not support third party NVMe SSDs (but Sierra does support the NVMe SSDs in real Macs), so their installation programs won't be able to recognize NVMe SSDs directly without patching.

If you are attempting to install High Sierra onto a NVMe SSD, the installation program will convert the SSD (but not mechanical hard disks) to APFS (Apple File System) format unless you specifically tell the installation program not to do so by using a special Terminal command.

You can of course first install High Sierra to another disk and then clone the system to your intended destination disk.

OK, thanks for your response and buttressing my current understandings, based upon info I have gathered thus far ;)

I probably have an issue with a corrupted installer &/or USB stick, or there may be some problem with the motherboard. I installed an SSD but was still unable to get High Sierra installed to that (via Unibeast usb).
I have since installed Win 10 (OMG yuk) to that SSD, and so the board and all other hardware are verified to work.
Again, thanks...
[update edit]: I re-installed the NVME drive into the DeskMini 110 which currently has Windoze on the SSD, and I was able to format and test the NVME, so I know that the hardware/mobo is operationally sound. I'm going to switch to a new USB thumbdrive and try again to install Unibeast/OSX to the DeskMini. Wish me luck ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back