Contribute
Register

[solved] Broken Windows’ battery status after High Sierra 10.13.1 install on HP laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kitchen sink == Using patches without understanding what they do and when not needed.

You still have inappropriate selections in ACPI/DSDT/Fixes.
See guide (already linked) for better starter plists.
Brightness guide is here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Apologies for the late reply.
Yeah, I don't know what many of those patches do, I'm looking around to learn.
I tried to patch DSDT.dsl with common patches (+ battery) and I got this KP (even if I removed dsdt.aml from ACPI/Patched). I'm doing a fresh install, I'm determined to fix this.

I do need to patch ACPI correctly to fix this, right?
I still don't know why a BIOS flash fixes it until the first macOS boot.

Thanks, and sorry again for the late reply.

Attachments

• IMG_7943.JPG
    IMG_7943.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
Apologies for the late reply.
Yeah, I don't know what many of those patches do, I'm looking around to learn.
I tried to patch DSDT.dsl with common patches (+ battery) and I got this KP (even if I removed dsdt.aml from ACPI/Patched). I'm doing a fresh install, I'm determined to fix this.

I do need to patch ACPI correctly to fix this, right?
I still don't know why a BIOS flash fixes it until the first macOS boot.

Thanks, and sorry again for the late reply.

Battery patching guide is linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

I already did that. The problem is that my battery won't charge at all, from macOS, Windows and laptop powered off...
The only humble fix is to flash the BIOS and not to boot macOS after that... as soon as I boot macOS, the battery won't charge (from Windows and laptop turned off too, if I let the PC die it won't boot at all without AC): "Battery is not charging is displayed" and percentage drops if I unplug AC, but won't increase with AC plugged.

I tried to patch ACPI without the Kitchen Sink.
I saw that in your laptop patches repo there is an "AC adapter FIX"... I don't have results for "AppleACPIACAdapter" if I search it in IOReg. May this DSDT patch fix this problem?

Attachments

• FAQ.zip
    3 MB · Views: 136
I already did that. The problem is that my battery won't charge at all, from macOS, Windows and laptop powered off...
The only humble fix is to flash the BIOS and not to boot macOS after that... as soon as I boot macOS, the battery won't charge (from Windows and laptop turned off too, if I let the PC die it won't boot at all without AC): "Battery is not charging is displayed" and percentage drops if I unplug AC, but won't increase with AC plugged.

I tried to patch ACPI without the Kitchen Sink.
I saw that in your laptop patches repo there is an "AC adapter FIX"... I don't have results for "AppleACPIACAdapter" if I search it in IOReg. May this DSDT patch fix this problem?

ACPI is not patched correctly. For example, one of the most important patches, OS Check Fix, to accommodate _OSI("Darwin") is missing.

See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Note: Remove these ACPI/Fixes from config.plist: FixHDA, FixHPET, FixRegions. FixRegions is especially buggy. And the others are not needed typically with your hardware.

ACPI is not patched correctly. For example, one of the most important patches, OS Check Fix, to accommodate _OSI("Darwin") is missing.

See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/
Is
Code:
<dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change _OSI to XOSI</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    X09TSQ==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    WE9TSQ==
                    </data>
                </dict>

in config.plist + SSDT-XOSI.aml (ACPI/patched, with "windows 2015" uncommented) a correct "OS Check Fix" ACPI patch?

Note: Remove these ACPI/Fixes from config.plist: FixHDA, FixHPET, FixRegions. FixRegions is especially buggy. And the others are not needed typically with your hardware.
Thanks.

Is
Code:
<dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change _OSI to XOSI</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    X09TSQ==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    WE9TSQ==
                    </data>
                </dict>

in config.plist + SSDT-XOSI.aml (ACPI/patched, with "windows 2015" uncommented) a correct "OS Check Fix" ACPI patch?

Yes.
There are other ways, but it (_OSI->XOSI + SSDT-XOSI.aml) is one of the best ways.

Yes.
There are other ways, but it (_OSI->XOSI + SSDT-XOSI.aml) is one of the best ways.

Is this an "acceptable" ACPI patch to try to fix this problem?

Attachments

• FAQ.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 156
Is this an "acceptable" ACPI patch to try to fix this problem?

SSDT-IMEI not needed/causes conflict with native IMEI. You're already renaming HECI->IMEI with config.plist.
SSDT-SMBUS.aml not needed for your hardware (plus you already have BUS0 added in patched DSDT, also not needed).
IRQ Fix already applied to patched DSDT, so not sure why you're also hotpatching it with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes.
Pick only one method to do a given fix.
You should probably try OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi.
config.plist/SMBIOS/Trust should typically be set true.
Plan on disabling the Nvidia device via ACPI.
Your USB configuration is wrong.
(both of the above have guides linked from the FAQ)

SSDT-IMEI not needed/causes conflict with native IMEI. You're already renaming HECI->IMEI with config.plist.
SSDT-SMBUS.aml not needed for your hardware (plus you already have BUS0 added in patched DSDT, also not needed).
IRQ Fix already applied to patched DSDT, so not sure why you're also hotpatching it with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes.
Pick only one method to do a given fix.
You should probably try OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi.
config.plist/SMBIOS/Trust should typically be set true.
Plan on disabling the Nvidia device via ACPI.
Your USB configuration is wrong.
(both of the above have guides linked from the FAQ)
Thanks (and sorry) for the spoon, but honestly I wouldn’t have been able to acknowledge such things by myself yet, even if I’d like to!

In Ignorance, I applied those nonsense SSDTs because I feared an ACPI error due to calls for unresolved methods in SSDTs (as it happened before), but that’s not the case I guess...

Well, this workaround apparently did the job...
I would probably just remove the ACEL.INIT call. Or remove the code in it, since that is easier:
Code:
# something like this...
into method label INIT parent_label ACEL replace_content begin // code removed\n end;

Although you could do more experimentations/tracing (using ACPIDebug) to discover the real problem.

It seems many HP pavilion laptops have this problem! Gotta wonder who would be that committed and knowledgeable to do a proper DSDT patch for this ;).
Thanks a lot, RehabMan.

All the best,
Carlo

Last edited:
It seems many HP pavilion laptops have this problem! Gotta wonder who would be that committed and knowledgeable to do a proper DSDT patch for this ;).

Someone with coding skills and a laptop that reproduces the problem.

Marked solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back