Graphics
GTS 650
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
When I installed OS X I left some space free to install Win 7 at some later point. Today I went ahead and installed Win 7 and had to find out that it is not a good idea to create a partition from the Win 7 installer. It seems like I ahve a strange combination of an GPT and MBR partitioning now. OS X cannot see the Win 7 partition and the Win 7 installer cannot see the partition that i subsequently had created from the OS X side. Fixing is is probably close to impossible without a lot of research and leg work if even at all.

Mainly, Chameleon cannot see the Win 7 partition created by the Win 7 installer to boot from it. Is it in any way possible to get Chameleon to boot form that partition at all?

Re: Booting from partition created by Win7 installer not working

Probably the System Reserved partition screwing things up. MS has the very annoying tendency to require this. While I'm sure it's possible to partition a drive like this for a Hackie, I'll wager it takes some extra doing. You probably need to install Win7 first or that System Reserved partition can muck things up. It's why I keep Win7 on a separate drive and be sure that any other drives are disconnected when installing. MS, in their infinite wisdom, will sometimes slap System Reserved on a different drive than the one you're installing to, because that makes perfect sense.

Upon booting into OS X and actually deleting the FAT 32 partition and re-creating it (as opposed to using "erase" in DiskUtility) Win 7 setup can now see the partition. Unfortunately, after formating during setup I now get the error message: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition.". Wonder if that refers to that hidden partition you mentioned.

Update: The reason was that the USB drive I am installing from showed up as the first disk. Windows is installing now, if I am looking this will work.

Update2: Everything is working now. Sorry for clogging the board ;)

freedumb2000 said:
Upon booting into OS X and actually deleting the FAT 32 partition and re-creating it (as opposed to using "erase" in DiskUtility) Win 7 setup can now see the partition. Unfortunately, after formating during setup I now get the error message: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition.". Wonder if that refers to that hidden partition you mentioned.

Update: The reason was that the USB drive I am installing from showed up as the first disk. Windows is installing now, if I am looking this will work.
If you do it this way viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872 you will not have a separate System Reserved icon for Win7.

Going Bald said:
freedumb2000 said:

If you do it this way viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872 you will not have a separate System Reserved icon for Win7.

Thanks for the link. I do not have a system reserver partition so all is fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back