Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
I have successfully installed High Sierra on a Coffee lake based system.
I have only one system on an nvme drive.
Currently I have faced with one problem, the boot process is hangs for ~20s at point FIPSPOST_USER ... all test passed, showed on the picture: 20180218_101421.jpg and than the booting process is go further, see it on the picture 20180218_102822.jpg.

At the I have ~40s boot time after clover menu, compared to a windows system with nvme which can boot in 4s it is really slow.

Has anybody of you faced with such a problem? Or can help someone to fix this issue?

Attachments

• 20180218_101421.jpg
    20180218_101421.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 546
  • 20180218_102822.jpg
    20180218_102822.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 526
Thanks your quick reply.
As I understood so far the TRIM cannot be an option because in case of NVME it is not possible to disable it. The other solution is to use the old filesystem, maybe I will try it out (currently the system is running stable, no other issue found).
I would like to a little bit more understand how this whole system is working, and what I do not understand in that case if this is a common issue why I cannot find anything about fipspost hang or "Warning: couldn't block sleep during cache update". Because I think in case of a system hangs the first thing is to do is check the boot in verbose mode.
Is this common APFS issue happens in Early boot phase?

Hi,
I have just read on another forum how to solv this boot hang issue with HS - APFS - NVME, I tried it and it is working.
1. Take an SSD, format it to APFS.
2. Mount the EFI folders, and copy the original EFI folder content to the SSD EFI partition.
3. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the NVME OS partition to the SSD partition.
4. Reboot with SSD.
5. Erase the NVME drive and format it to HFS+.
6. Erase again the NVME drive and format it to APFS.
7. Mount the EFI partitions (SSD and NVME) and copy the EFI folder from SSD to NVME.
8. Use the Carbon Copy Cloner to clone SSD partition back to the NVME partition.
9. Shut down.
10. Remove the SSD.
11. Enjoy :)

After this I have 16s boot time with the NVME, previously it was around 50-60s.
I hope it helps for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back