Contribute
Register

[Solved] Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot??????

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming LGA115
CPU
I78700k
Graphics
RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have a Permanent Solution to this problem.
Add Preboot and Recovery in HIDE VOLUME pane in the GUI section of clover.
This will remove all redundant boot entries.

View attachment 285789
Where do I get this editor for clover or is it clover? I havent been looking at this stuff in a long time so any help would be nice.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170mx Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is more of a fix rather than a solution. The fix works. Fine. But I am more curious as to why those boot options are there in the first place. Its like the installer never cleaned itself up after installing Mac OS. Does everyone have these options with apfs?

Motherboard
Asus Rog Maximus X Formula
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
This is more of a fix rather than a solution. The fix works. Fine. But I am more curious as to why those boot options are there in the first place. Its like the installer never cleaned itself up after installing Mac OS. Does everyone have these options with apfs?
Same here.. got some of these filevault preboot, preboot from preboot, and (not tried yet), even being able to just hide them.. I also wonder why they are there in the first place.

Wouldn't it be nice if after installing osx with clover, only the drives with a fully installed and properly OS came up, and not all this nonsense? (or in clover configuration in Gui, a select what to show and what not in a more graphical way type what appears in tools>Mount Efi

Also, if those filevault/preboot stuff are unfinished installers or any other clutter left by... Would have been nice if the configurator offered a Cleaning service of some sort. ;D

But back to reality: what are they in the first place..!?

Motherboard
Asrock x79 extreme4
CPU
I7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
Mac Pro
I’ve got the same situation and wish I knew how to remove them rather than just getting clover to “hide them”.
Long time lurker of the sub here. I have done the above work around in the past but DID find a way to delete all the installation files just a few weeks ago. But... I whent on vacation and now can not find the instructions again. I remember it involved deleting hidden boot files but were I do not know.
I have been haveing the hardest time with my Mojave update. Always stuck at "can not find installation files. Please restart and try again" (sorry not at my Hack right now, not sure the exact verbiage) All past update have been gravy.
Maybe someone smarter then me will help us out?

Motherboard
Asrock x79 extreme4
CPU
I7-3930K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
Mac Pro
Long time lurker of the sub here. I have done the above work around in the past but DID find a way to delete all the installation files just a few weeks ago. But... I whent on vacation and now can not find the instructions again. I remember it involved deleting hidden boot files but were I do not know.
I have been haveing the hardest time with my Mojave update. Always stuck at "can not find installation files. Please restart and try again" (sorry not at my Hack right now, not sure the exact verbiage) All past update have been gravy.
Maybe someone smarter then me will help us out?
Just incase it can help somebody else, I searched for the install error from log file "failed to locate volume with uuid" and found this thread right off the bat

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-13-4-security-update-fails.251593/

which lead to this Guide

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-remove-boot-os-x-install-from-partition-from-clover-bootloader.185201/

Which was the original page I found before vacation. Now if I can just get this update to install.

UPDATE: So... like some others I deleted everything that was there but did still had a "Prebooter" option in Clover. I ended up using terminal to delete the volume entirely.

diskutil list (to find the disk number disk1s2 in my case)
diskutil mount disk1s2 (to see what was inside the volume just for giggles)
diskutil unmount disk1s2
diskutil apfs deleteVolume Prebooter

Rebooted and only my high Sierra and recover entries were left. System booted fine and installation of Mojave when smoothly. Hope this may help others who search.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Lenovo Ideapad 330-15IKB (81FE)
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
iMac, MacBook
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Has anyone tried the command "diskutil apfs deleteVolume Preboot".

I would like to remove de Preboot entries in my Clover Bootloader, but read somewhere else that if the partition Preboot is removed, High Sierra will not boot anymore.

Motherboard
MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Has anyone tried the command "diskutil apfs deleteVolume Preboot".
A bit of a late reply, but it might help someone else.

Yes I have tried the command above, entries are gone and no problem booting!

Matt