Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Black screen with Dual Monitor connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I can confirm that turn on CSM mode in BIOS is critical and solve all problems with multimonitor support .
No additional settings needed. Graphic card is GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB and three LCD connected.

I knew that, but problem is i dont want enable CSM support because my Clover bootscreen resolution will broken with it :(

I can confirm enabling CSM fixes boot with two monitors, but it brakes quite a few other things for me such as:
* I get bios screen on a wrong monitor and since it's in a portrait mode it's quite an issue
* I loose hdmi audio for some reason (this might be fixable, need to check a few things)
* I lose my internal sound card (this might be fixable, need to check a few things)

I wish normal fix would exist... MB someone has a clue what one could do differently?

I've tried so far: creating SSDT (it fixed hdmi audio initially, but not dual screen boot), Lilu+Fix kexts, and quite a few other things. No luck booting with 2 displays and CSM disabled (though if I connect second monitor when system is boot up i can use two monitors no prob).

Hello, I am/was facing the same problem. All of the beforehand mentioned solutions didn't solve the problem.

Turning on CSM did, however, I was not willing to go that route since the resolution is broken upon booting.

My setup:
Dell Optiplex 7010 - i5-3550
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Low Profile (4 Ports, 1 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 DVI)
2x Dell U2518D, one connected to DVI, one connected to the HDMI next to the DVI

The one connected to DVI would initially turn on an go all the way through the Apple logo, then go black, the other one wouldn't turn on at all.

Today I noticed something. If both monitors are turned off when I start the machine, and I turn them on just a bit postponed, maybe about 5 secs (right where I would be at the Clover screen) and then turn them on at the same time. The Clover screen would appear the one monitor connected to HDMI (which wasn't getting a signal at all before). Then after the boot loader signal would switch to the other monitor and the machine would boot successfully.

Just postponing turning on the monitor for 5 secs is a better solution then CSM for me. Maybe someone wants to try it out.

UPDATE: After further fiddling with it, I found out that it doesn't really matter when I turn on the monitors. As long as both are turned of when the machine starts and I turn on the one connected via HDMI first. So I can turn it on. Wait 1 sec, turn on HDMI one, turn on DVI one, and it will work. Maybe someone wants to go that round in order to avoid CSM.

Last edited:
I have been plagued with unplugging my dual monitor on boot for about a year now. I had very little hopes of this getting the job done, but it actually worked. I think the issue people are having is when using HDMI vs DVI. Best of luck to everyone.
riccardo.uccelli, you're a lifesaver.

Thanks

Good news! My Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4095 MB works perfectly with dual monitor at boot!
I had to set my config.plist in this way to enable both monitor :

</dict>
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>BootDisplay</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>DualLink</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
<key>VRAM</key>
<integer>4095</integer>
<key>VideoPorts</key>
<integer>3</integer>
</dict>

Initially did not work because I leave Inject/Nvidia/False.
Strangely I had to set Inject/Nvidia/True I don't know why! :confused: Now my hackintosh works so good!
Thanks to MacPack and Asgalor for the support without you I would not have been succesful.

After a few hours of hacking the config here's what worked for me:

Graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4GB
Driver: 387.10.10.10.30.103 macOS 10.13.4 High Sierra (17E199)

Code:
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BootDisplay</key>
        <integer>2</integer>
        <key>DualLink</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <false/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>NvidiaGeneric</key>
        <false/>
        <key>NvidiaSingle</key>
        <false/>
        <key>VRAM</key>
        <integer>4095</integer>
        <key>VideoPorts</key>
        <integer>2</integer>
    </dict>

I use 2 monitors, one monitor plugged into 1st HDMI port and second into the DP port. The graphics card had 3 HDMI ports but only the first one works.

If you think it's because I've set VideoPorts to 2, is not, I've set it to various numbers and only the above combination seems to work.
This fixed my issues. now I can see my three monitors full resolutions. 1 down, more things to go!

same issues!!
I use Integrated graphics card
My motherboard is Giagabyte z170mx gaming 5
How to set my config.plist??

Ey guys! I had the same problem. I installed the last driver and it didn’t work fine.
But when I plugged on the hdmi from the graphic card, I seen that the screen (which was working) became black for a second. Playing with the second cable, connecting and disconnecting it, I found a point on, two screens were on.
Sorry by my bad English, but don’t know how explain it well.

Im facing same problem on my work computer "but no problem with my home computer cause i have GPU on it". the work computer have built in GPU in Gigabyte Z370 have HDMI and DVI the HDMI working fine but the DVI playing up, one day works fine another day i come in the morning the DVI doesnt work. Any ideas ?

Confirmed turning CSM on in BIOS solved my dual display problem. Thanks!

Thank you this thread helped me a lot! Works perfectly now with dual screen (Dvi-D and HDMI here)
GTW 1050 TI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back