Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Big Sur on GA-Z170X w/ HD530 - Neither Clover nor OpenCore works

Status
Not open for further replies.
The config that I sent back was also iMac17,1 - The only thing I altered was some patching for the video ports.
That's really weird. As soon as I replaced the config.plist with yours, I got this message that shows on the screenshot. I am lost, sorry.

That's really weird. As soon as I replaced the config.plist with yours, I got this message that shows on the screenshot. I am lost, sorry.

Yes, you are correct. That is weird.

What can cause this?

1) Perhaps re-using an old serial-number. Part of the system details are encoded in it.

2) More than one Clover EFI tree. During boot the verbose scrolling text is stepping through the boot process. It hits a MacPro3,1 system-definition and says "Whoa! You can't install Big Sur on this machine." That system-definition comes from somewhere. There's no AI involved here.

Check the root of your system drive to make sure there is no EFI folder there. EFI Backup is okay, but EFI on its own indicates a Legacy install at some point.

Check any other drives you may have attached to your system. If they are GUID drives they will have hidden EFI partitions too. Did anything get installed in there in error?

At the end of the day there's a reason you see what you're seeing.

Yes, you are correct. That is weird.

What can cause this?

1) Perhaps re-using an old serial-number. Part of the system details are encoded in it.

2) More than one Clover EFI tree. During boot the verbose scrolling text is stepping through the boot process. It hits a MacPro3,1 system-definition and says "Whoa! You can't install Big Sur on this machine." That system-definition comes from somewhere. There's no AI involved here.

Check the root of your system drive to make sure there is no EFI folder there. EFI Backup is okay, but EFI on its own indicates a Legacy install at some point.

Check any other drives you may have attached to your system. If they are GUID drives they will have hidden EFI partitions too. Did anything get installed in there in error?

At the end of the day there's a reason you see what you're seeing.
Anyway, we are past that. I have managed to install and boot from Big Sur. I have even created the appropriate serial numbers and all... messages and icloud working just fine.

Alas, with no sound and no graphic card acceleration. Laggish performance, jumpy cursor, artifacts.

Anyway, we are past that. I have managed to install and boot from Big Sur. I have even created the appropriate serial numbers and all... messages and icloud working just fine. Alas, with no sound and no graphic card acceleration. Laggish performance, jumpy cursor, artifacts.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

You misunderstood me. I am very much obliged with all the help and advises you have provided. Although the problem mentioned is now solved, it's good to know where to look if it ever happens again.

Sorry for my english, not my native language.

I am happy to say that with the config.plist of @molko1234 as a starting point I have managed to have a fully working Big Sur installation with OpenCore!

Thank you all for the assistance!
Fantastic, did you get graphic card acceleration and sound working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back