Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Big Sur 11.3.1 & 11.4 Update Download Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave up trying to update to 11.3.1, but when I tried to update to 11.4, I had the same issue. It didn't matter if I downloaded from System Preferences or the App Store or if I downloaded over wifi or ethernet or if I downloaded it to my MacBook Pro and copied it to my hack.

I think I might have to do a clean install (and maybe switch to OpenCore?).

I've tried multiple times to update from 11.3 to 11.3.1 with Clover r5134, but during the Preparing phase, I get a “Download failed” error, regardless of whether I use ethernet or wifi for the download.

View attachment 517620

I’ve tried deleting com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist under ~/Library/Preferences and Library/Preferences and rebooting, but that didn’t help.

For what it’s worth, I also had issues with the Big Sur installer when updating from 10.15.7 to 11.3. In that case, it would download, but after starting the installation, I kept getting errors like “An error occurred loading the update.” I ended up having to download the installer to my MacBook Pro, copy it to my hack, and then run it with just ethernet connected. I've never had issues like this before Big Sur, and I’d prefer not to have to download the full installer to my MacBook Pro again for a small update like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the download to work?
Do you know if clover has a setting like Securebootmodel? if it does and it is disabled it could cause this issue. Having you been deleting the installer after it fails? if you haven't you could try doing that. My Mac mini was doing all kinds of strange things during updates during beta.

Having you been deleting the installer after it fails?
Yes, I’ve been deleting the installer after each failed attempt.

Do you know if clover has a setting like Securebootmodel?
There is a Secure property in the Boot section of the Clover config.plist. I looked at old backups of my config.plist, and I used to have Secure set to false, but at some point, I completely removed the property.

I tried re-adding it and setting it to false, rebooting, and downloading the 11.4 update via System Preferences again. The installer didn’t give me an error this time, and I was actually able to run the installation.

However, after the installation finished, I kept getting a KP on the Apple logo loading screen. After trying a lot of things to get my computer to boot that didn't work, I eventually tried booting into recovery mode and repairing my startup disk and each of its volumes, and now I’m finally able to boot into 11.4 without a KP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back