Contribute
Register

[Solved] Best approach to resurrect a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170XP-SLI
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
NVIDIA 1050TI
Hey all. My CPU died on me, and I suspect the PSU+mobo also died. I have replacements - CPU is the same but the mobo is an ASUS one and not the Gigabyte one I was previously using. Same generation though.

I am hopeful that the hard-drives are fine and that my Hackintosh Sierra setup is still there and usable - all I need to do is ... what exactly??

I'm thinking mount the CPU on the ASUS mobo, boot into the Hackintosh, clear out my old ethernet kext (which is the only custom kext I installed AFAICR) and replace it with a new one. Everything else *should* work out of the box from what I can tell.

The mobo I used to use is a Gigabyte GA-z97-d3h, and the one I am replacing it with is an ASUS z97 Pro Gamer.

Thoughts before I get going?

@mootrax, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

So for those that come after me...

I couldn't find a socket 1150 believe it or not. So I had a massive spendy tantrum and got a Kaby Lake 7700K, a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI motherboard, and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8gb) DDR4 sticks. I'll sell all my other components and shouldn't lose too much money.

Got the components all setup.

BIOS:
  1. Disable in Bios Features: Fast Boot, Vt-d, LAN PXE Boot, Network Stack
  2. Disable in Chipset: Vt-d
  3. Enable in Peripherals: XHCI Hand-off
  4. Set in Bios Features Windows 8/10 Features as Other OS
  5. Set in Bios Features Storage Boot Option Control as UEFI Only

I stuck my Sierra SSD in a caddy and used a macbook to modify the Clover config.plist on the EFI partition. I did this:

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>FakeCPUID</key>
<string>0x0506E3</string>

It booted up fine. Given that I'm using the same hard-drives, same graphics card, and same manufacturer of motherboard, I think this explains why it was so easy. Can't guarantee that you'll have the same experience. But going from a GA-Z97-D3H to a Z170XP-SLI ... I didn't have to do anything other than fake the cpu id.

I should note - I always disable onboard sound and graphics, because I have CoreAudio compliant soundcards for recording that I use, and I have a dedicated graphics card.

All in all - I managed to avoid re-installing all my apps and was up and running within an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back