Contribute
Register

[solved] Backlight turns to full brightness after sleep or restart!

Motherboard
Asus X556UF
CPU
Core i7 6500U
Graphics
Intel HD 520
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Is there anyway to save the last state of the Backlight before shutting down or restarting the computer? Cuz the each time I restart or or start after a shutdown the computer resumes to state of full brightness. Is there any way to fix this? If so please let me know!

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Is there anyway to save the last state of the Backlight before shutting down or restarting the computer? Cuz the each time I restart or or start after a shutdown the computer resumes to state of full brightness. Is there any way to fix this? If so please let me know!
You need working nvram. Best to use native nvram (no EmuVariable*.efi)

Motherboard
Asus X556UF
CPU
Core i7 6500U
Graphics
Intel HD 520
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
You need working nvram. Best to use native nvram (no EmuVariable*.efi)
Please explain me how to do that or else link me to a post on enabling the Native nvram! That's the only problem which slightly bothers!

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Please explain me how to do that or else link me to a post on enabling the Native nvram! That's the only problem which slightly bothers!
Two choices for NVRAM:
- no EmuVariable*.efi in drivers64UEFI (UEFI nvram must be working)
- EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in driver64UEFI (don't forget "RC scripts to boot volume").

Motherboard
Asrock Z170 Pro4/D3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have the same problem. Backlight intensity is not preserved. I tried verifying NVRAM and it works (custom variable is stored and preserved through reboot), but for some reason it always has some default acpi-backlight-level, intel-backlight-level and backlight-level variables set, even when I remove everything and go back to stock AppleBacklight.kext and DSDT. What could be the cause of this?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asrock Z170 Pro4/D3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
I tried a clean reinstall with "config_HD3000_1366x768_7series" config. After minimal install - Clover with NVRRam emu and FakeSMC I still get those variables inserted to NVRRam at each start. Could this be DSDT related issue? But how does DSDT knows all those variable names?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have the same problem. Backlight intensity is not preserved. I tried verifying NVRAM and it works (custom variable is stored and preserved through reboot), but for some reason it always has some default acpi-backlight-level, intel-backlight-level and backlight-level variables set, even when I remove everything and go back to stock AppleBacklight.kext and DSDT. What could be the cause of this?
ACPIBacklight.kext and IntelBacklight.kext should NOT both be installed.

See guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

Motherboard
Asrock Z170 Pro4/D3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
They are not. I removed EVERYTHING and made a clean reinstall of OS X. Only clover with "config_HD3000_1366x768_7series" config (NVRam is on disk using EmuVariableUefi, clover has no kexts), FakeSMC and VoodooPS2 in S/L/E. That's it. No other kexts. After the first reboot - all those 3 variables are present in NVRam.

Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
They are not. I removed EVERYTHING and made a clean reinstall of OS X. Only clover with "config_HD3000_1366x768_7series" config (NVRam is on disk using EmuVariableUefi, clover has no kexts), FakeSMC and VoodooPS2 in S/L/E. That's it. No other kexts. After the first reboot - all those 3 variables are present in NVRam.
Check your Clover bootlog to see where NVRAM is loading from. Chances are you have multiple partitions and Clover is loading it from somewhere you don't expect.

Note: The procedures you mention are not enough to implement backlight control.

Motherboard
Asrock Z170 Pro4/D3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
Check your Clover bootlog to see where NVRAM is loading from. Chances are you have multiple partitions and Clover is loading it from somewhere you don't expect.
But it saves it back. I tried removing them with "sudo nvram -d" and adding some dummy variable (someVar=testVal). Dummy variable is saved and preserved through reboot and backlight variables are again back with their default variables like I never deleted them. Is it possible that clover merges 2 NVRams from somewhere?

Note: The procedures you mention are not enough to implement backlight control.
Of course I understand that. It works on my Lenovo B580 with plain "backlight-patch" and IntelBacklight.kext. At least the slider appears in settings and it changes brightness (and actually changes the value in NVRam, I checked with nvram -p), but setting is reset on every boot.
Right now I'm trying to figure out what the hell it adding the variables to NVRam. I made a new bootable flash drive absolutely clean, without using Unibeast and intend to do another clean reinstall with manual clover installation and kext placing, without multibeast and see if that works.

Last edited: