Contribute
Register

[solved] atheros 9285 card not working on 4530s...

Status
Not open for further replies.
atheros 9285 card not working on 4530s...

it works now. thank you very much, and sorry for the hassle. What I did was I ran the probook installer for ml and installed the patch, but that did not work. do i have to patch it in some sort of safe mode? sorry, i am a real noob, but now my probook runs perfectly! thanks a lot!

Patching your DSDT with the ProBook Installer v6.1 after you've already created a patched DSDT prior is covered at the end of the sticky guide at the top of this forum (under "BIOS updates/hardware upgrades").

Otherwise, you use MaciASL (as I did for the DSDT that I just uploaded for you).

I am back up and running on my Hackintosh - Probook 4530s it was thanks to the information in this thread as well as a few others. One thing I noticed that has not been discussed in the threads is. choosing the remove -old os kexts- option in the hp installer under the last drop down menu. I found it helped fix my Wifi and remove many anomalies.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread slightly, but I'm not allowed to create a new one :/.

I have a probook 5330m, managed to get it booting and 99% functional with probook installer. I just don't have a Argos 9285 card installed to get wifi. I want to buy one but am not sure which one to get? I've found some with Bluetooth some without. Of course I would prefer the Bluetooth one.

I have not problems as far as installing the hardware, I just have no clue how to set it up and make it work in bios/lion 10.7.5?

Please help? I really want to buy it and have wifi!

Thanks

Sorry to hi-jack the thread slightly, but I'm not allowed to create a new one :/.

I have a probook 5330m, managed to get it booting and 99% functional with probook installer. I just don't have a Argos 9285 card installed to get wifi. I want to buy one but am not sure which one to get? I've found some with Bluetooth some without. Of course I would prefer the Bluetooth one.

I have not problems as far as installing the hardware, I just have no clue how to set it up and make it work in bios/lion 10.7.5?

Please help? I really want to buy it and have wifi!

Thanks

AR9285 requires only DSDT patch. I believe you can use the same DSDT patch we use on the rest of the ProBooks (4x40s, 4x30s).

As long as the card is accepted by BIOS whitelist??

AR9285 requires only DSDT patch. I believe you can use the same DSDT patch we use on the rest of the ProBooks (4x40s, 4x30s).

As long as the card is accepted by BIOS whitelist??

Thanks for the reply!!!

I haven't bought the card yet but I have no clue what this white listing business is or how to go about it? I'm just unsure wether to purchase it or not yet as I don't know how hard it's going to be to get it working?

Thanks
Vish

Thanks for the reply!!!

I haven't bought the card yet but I have no clue what this white listing business is or how to go about it? I'm just unsure wether to purchase it or not yet as I don't know how hard it's going to be to get it working?

Thanks
Vish

Some laptops have a whitelist (opposite of blacklist... look it up) implemented in BIOS where only certain cards are accepted. If the laptop detects a card installed not on the whitelist, it disables the card, or worse, will not boot the installed operating system.

If you have a spare card around (eg. from another laptop), you can install it just as an experiment. Or you can refer to the service manual to get a list of the cards acceptable.

Oh I see!! Thanks for explaining it! How hard is it to add a card to the whitelist? The reason I ask is that I want to use this card as its been reported as fully functional with my laptop and has pre built working kexts for it?

Thanks
Vish

Oh I see!! Thanks for explaining it! How hard is it to add a card to the whitelist?

For some laptops disabling or changing the whitelist is not possible. Because BIOS is RSA encrypted to prevent tampering. The HP ProBook 4x40s and 4x30s fall into this category (fortunately, for 4x40s there is no whitelist implemented in BIOS).

The reason I ask is that I want to use this card as its been reported as fully functional with my laptop and has pre built working kexts for it?

They are probably using an HP branded card or there is no whitelist. Like I said, check the service manual and experiment.

And you don't need any kexts to get AR9285 to work... just DSDT patches.

Sorry you're right, it's a patch. And I have a 5330m not a 4xxx. That's why I wasn't sure, should I just buy one, install it and see if it boots and can be installed into a new dsdt?

Thanks
Vish

Sorry you're right, it's a patch. And I have a 5330m not a 4xxx. That's why I wasn't sure, should I just buy one, install it and see if it boots and can be installed into a new dsdt?

Thanks
Vish

Yes, try to buy one that is 'HP branded'...

There are details and HP part#s in the FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back