Contribute
Register

[Solved] Asus GeForce GTX 950 card incompatible with High Sierra???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Designare
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
  1. iMac
I ran the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra, but now I'm unable to get past the "gIOScreenLockState 3" or "Failed to initialize graphics firmware" during boot up. I tried following suggestions from several articles on Tonymac86 and other websites, but still unable to make any progress.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Asus GeForce GTX 950 graphics card is incompatible with HighSierra??

Anyone else successfully using this card?

On the contrary, my other problem is that when I remove the graphcs card I'm still unable to boot my system. In that case I get to the apple logo and suddenly my monitor goes black and appears to lose its signal. Thoughts???

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Getting desperate here for a solution. :(

Attachments

• 2018-01-10 08.26.23.jpg
    2018-01-10 08.26.23.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 384
Last edited:
I ran the upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra, but now I'm unable to get past the "gIOScreenLockState 3" or "Failed to initialize graphics firmware" during boot up. I tried following suggestions from several articles on Tonymac86 and other websites, but still unable to make any progress.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Asus GeForce GTX 950 graphics card is incompatible with HighSierra??

On the contrary, my other problem is that when I remove the graphcs card I'm still unable to boot my system. In that case I get to the apple logo and suddenly my monitor goes black and appears to lose its signal. Thoughts???

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Getting desperate here for a solution. :(

Oh wow. After a lot of grief, I figured out how to boot up my system. All I had to do was boot in safe mode (use -x parm in the boot parms in Clover). Then I was able to boot up, albeit in a degraded graphics mode, but then I could install the correct nvidia driver and reboot. Now everything is back to normal and i'm running on High Sierra with 4K graphics!

Hello, can you tell me how did you manage to get the GeForce GTX 950 to function properly whitout lag in High Sierra? I used all the available solutions to the nvidia web drivers: webdriver.sh from @vulgo and nvidia-update from @benjamin.dobell where not succesful for me.
Please help, it is the only thing remaining to get my first Hackintosh ready to battle.

Hello, can you tell me how did you manage to get the GeForce GTX 950 to function properly whitout lag in High Sierra? I used all the available solutions to the nvidia web drivers: webdriver.sh from @vulgo and nvidia-update from @benjamin.dobell where not succesful for me.
Please help, it is the only thing remaining to get my first Hackintosh ready to battle.

Hi @jAcL.uy ,
What exactly do you mean by lag?
Since updating to from 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 I've been having what feels like sluggish overall performance (scrolling windows, flipping windows, launching programs, etc...). Is that what your experiencing? Can you be more specific?

@moonlight16 I think you have the same symptoms as me.

I just realized this post was originally intended to deal with a boot issue when updating to High Sierra. Shortly after I posted the issue, I stumbled upon the solution (see my followup post) and was running fine for several weeks. During this time I didn't see any performance issues. Then I upgraded from 10.13.2 to 10.3.3, and that's when I started experiencing sluggish performance (moving windows, flipping applications, typing text, closing/opening Chrome tabs, opening/deleting emails in Mac Mail, etc...)

What's interesting is that the performance feels slow, even when there's very few programs running. And there's no single program chewing up CPU from the Activity Monitor. On one particular day, I did notice WindowServer chewed up 30GB (out of 48GB), but reboot seemed to temporary hamper that issue (although I'm suspecting a memory leak issue here).

Overall I'm getting the feeling it has something to do with the graphics card or nvidia driver on the new level, since there's no single process that seems to be chewing up CPU to cause things to be slow.

Anyways, we could/should start a new thread on this issue, as it *is* a separate issue from my initial posting.

I just realized this post was originally intended to deal with a boot issue when updating to High Sierra. Shortly after I posted the issue, I stumbled upon the solution (see my followup post) and was running fine for several weeks. During this time I didn't see any performance issues. Then I upgraded from 10.13.2 to 10.3.3, and that's when I started experiencing sluggish performance (moving windows, flipping applications, typing text, closing/opening Chrome tabs, opening/deleting emails in Mac Mail, etc...)

What's interesting is that the performance feels slow, even when there's very few programs running. And there's no single program chewing up CPU from the Activity Monitor. On one particular day, I did notice WindowServer chewed up 30GB (out of 48GB), but reboot seemed to temporary hamper that issue (although I'm suspecting a memory leak issue here).

Overall I'm getting the feeling it has something to do with the graphics card or nvidia driver on the new level, since there's no single process that seems to be chewing up CPU to cause things to be slow.

Anyways, we could/should start a new thread on this issue, as it *is* a separate issue from my initial posting.

See my post https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/laggy-high-sierra-with-geforce-gtx-950.246883/page-2#post-1702083

I got same problem like you and still looking for solution. Hope someone can fixed this issue.

Attachments

• Mac Boot Error.JPG
    Mac Boot Error.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 260
I got same problem like you and still looking for solution. Hope someone can fixed this issue.

Your screen shot looks quite a bit different than the one I posted. I don't think its the same issue. I would suggest to leep google searching both tonymac86 and the rest of the internet for the exact same wording as in your logs. Or just post a new posting on tonymacx86 with your issue.

Hi All,
did anyone manage to make it work? i also have GTX 950.
as soon as i use the webdrivers, its loading up till the middle and then my screen goes black.
i am able to boot up again using generic nvidia driver.

i was never able to make it work on both Sierra's, did any one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back