Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] ALXEthernet.kext causing KP but it's NOT installed! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am extremely sorry to report that I am an idiot. Not having properly understood what the new Clover installer was for and assuming that my board did not natively support NVRAM when it actually does, I had used the new Tonymacx86 clover installer when I did this latest install.
It would seem one of the side-effects of doing so on a mobo that does support NVRAM natively is this spurious dialogue on start up about the machine having shut down because of a problem and then this report being generated which points the finger at ALXEthernet.kext. How and why this happens is beyond me, especially since this kext has never ever been installed on this machine as the above thread demonstrates I believe. Understanding why there would be a KP as the machine shuts down and is presumably writing to NVRAM is a little easier - and P1LGRIMS suggestion that it must be something to do with NVRAM was what ultimately allowed me to fix my previous blunder.
I hugely appreciate the help! Thank you!

I tried to clear nvram on terminal, but got an error of permission denied. How did you solve the issue?

Hello, how did you manage to solve the issue? I got the same mobo and have the same issue.

Have you just deleted nvram.plist?

Save me, please :)
Hi sorry for delayed reply - the entire problem was caused by my using a version of clover that was pre-configured for motherboards WITHOUT native NVRAM support - but this board DOES have native NVRAM support - so change your Clover install - the bootloader itself not your config.plist - probably the latest version. Deleting NVRAM won't do anything in this instance.
Better still, move your hackintosh to OpenCore where with this board everything except wifi works very well and much quicker. Just follow the directions on the dortania vanilla opencore website :)

Hello! Thank you so much! I updated Clover and Voila! It worked!
I'll research about OC on dortania!!!!!

You're welcome. Recommend starting with an erased SSD drive so you download the OS you want as part of the process - this ensures a really vanilla / clean install because of the chance you may have some of your hackintosh kexts in L/E or S/L/E if you try to use an existing clover install. It's doable, but the way I did it was to start with a clean drive, test everything out and then copy over the OpenCore EFI to my existing install (having backed up the Clover EFI!) once I was confident it worked and had made sure I didn't have unnecessary kexts in the OS. Personally I found it at lot less confusing than my early attempts with Clover some years back now, because the OpenCore guides are specific to CPU/motherboard chipset.

Many of the better video walkthroughs on YT reference the dortania site and it really helped me to watch a couple of those through just to get an solid over view of the process. Look for video tutorials specific to Haswell to avoid confusion. Good luck.

Wow! Thank you.
This method is much more well documented than any other I've seen, explaining everything in detail. I'll get a look and try it ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back