Contribute
Register

[solved] 2018-001 Security Update bricked 9560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, it's a 4k display. I followed a guide specific to the Dell XPS 15 9560 (2017 model) with 4k, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd.

As I stated, it was totally my error with updating the kexts- some of them weren't actually updated... I had replaced them with zero-byte folders (I forgot the -r flag when zipping).

I was only able to boot with -liluoff but it wasn't a full boot. It booted far enough to get to networking, but no display/ui/etc, so I was able to log in remotely via ssh on my hackintosh desktop. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

The kexts are working as intended and I am able to boot now that everything is updated. I also updated Clover just to be safe (now that I can boot) but I will note your suggestions for the future if it happens again!

I think you're saying the problem is solved... (if so, I will mark the thread solved).

For future: You can easily use an invalid ig-platform-id to boot with VESA graphics kexts, then correct your kext situation. But also, better to update everything (Clover, kexts, etc) to the latest prior to applying system updates.

I think you're saying the problem is solved... (if so, I will mark the thread solved).

For future: You can easily use an invalid ig-platform-id to boot with VESA graphics kexts, then correct your kext situation. But also, better to update everything (Clover, kexts, etc) to the latest prior to applying system updates.
Yes, the moral of the story is, I won't be running updates without first updating Clover, kexts, etc. The issue is resolved. Thank you again for the help.

Yes, the moral of the story is, I won't be running updates without first updating Clover, kexts, etc. The issue is resolved. Thank you again for the help.

Marked solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back