RX6800-XT+UHD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys,

I am currently running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (Sec update 2018 003) with no issues, system has been super stable all devices working. Have been holding off updating to High Sierra for a long time but it seems like Apple have sorted most of the early issues out with it so decided to to try a direct update.

Before running the MacOS update i updated Clover, FakeSMC and supporting kexts such as Lilu ..etc to all the latest versions.

Downloaded the Install High Sierra app form apple app store (10.13.5) and launched it from command line using following command as i wanted to keep HFS+ file system:-

Code:
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO
Basically i followed Tony's Guide here :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

But after rebooting and selecting the install OSX option in the Clover menu the PB HS installer KP's ....
I must admit i was not expecting KP issues having got the system running so well with latest Sierra, but it was not to be.

I've searched through the site looking for similar issues on installing HS and checked my settings against the solutions presented in those posts but alas i can not find a solution that works for me.

Tried a bunch of other things such as spoofing DGPU (even though i was disabling it via hotpatch ssdt), removing spoof kext for nvme but so far nothing has helped

I've attached debug files as requested by rehabman ....

Hopeing someone can sport something .....

Cheers
Jay

EDIT: 29-06-2018 Removed depreciated PR Files

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I am currently running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (Sec update 2018 003) with no issues, system has been super stable all devices working. Have been holding off updating to High Sierra for a long time but it seems like Apple have sorted most of the early issues out with it so decided to to try a direct update.

Before running the MacOS update i updated Clover, FakeSMC and supporting kexts such as Lilu ..etc to all the latest versions.

Downloaded the Install High Sierra app form apple app store (10.13.5) and launched it from command line using following command as i wanted to keep HFS+ file system:-

Code:
/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO
Basically i followed Tony's Guide here :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/

But after rebooting and selecting the install OSX option in the Clover menu the PB HS installer KP's with the following:-

View attachment 337428

I must admit i was not expecting KP issues having got the system running so well with latest Sierra, but it was not to be.

I've searched through the site looking for similar issues on installing HS and checked my settings against the solutions presented in those posts but alas i can not find a solution that works for me.

Tried a bunch of other things such as spoofing DGPU (even though i was disabling it via hotpatch ssdt), removing spoof kext for nvme but so far nothing has helped

I've attached debug files as requested by rehabman ....

Hopeing someone can sport something .....

Cheers
Jay

You probably need config.plist/ACPI/FixHeaders=true.
It is default in guide plists:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Note: No need to drop MATS.

Hi ReHabMan,

Was hopeing you'd see my plea for help .... ;)
I tried enabling clovers DSDT Fix Headers :-

Code:
            <key>Fixes</key>
            <dict>
                <key>FixAirport_4000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixHeaders_20000000</key>
                <true/>
            </dict>

No dice ... same KP as above .... however i think it may well be something to do with with SSDT Tables ...
I tried booting the Installer with DropOEM=TRUE and it did not KP but then stalled at waiting for boot.uefi.media :-

IMG_0910.JPG

Eventually after a few mins I get the no entry sign .... not sure if this is a step forwards or not ?

Cheers
Jay

Hi ReHabMan,

Was hopeing you'd see my plea for help .... ;)

I tried enabling clovers DSDT Fix Headers :-

Code:
            <key>Fixes</key>
            <dict>
                <key>FixAirport_4000</key>
                <true/>
                <key>FixHeaders_20000000</key>
                <true/>
            </dict>

No dice ... same KP as above .... however i think it may well be something to do with with SSDT Tables ...

I tried booting the Installer with DropOEM=TRUE and it did not KP but then stalled at waiting for boot.uefi.media :-

View attachment 337475

Not sure if this is a step forwards or not ?

Cheers
Jay

Current Clover uses config.plist/ACPI/FixHeaders=true.
config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/FixHeaders and config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/FixHeaders_20000000 are at least deprecated if not removed entirely.

Also, make sure you're using recent Clover (I'd recommend my build).

I can't tell which Clover you're using as you forgot to press F2 to generate misc/preboot.log, and CLOVERX64.efi is missing from the Clover folder you uploaded.

Current Clover uses config.plist/ACPI/FixHeaders=true.
config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/FixHeaders and config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/FixHeaders_20000000 are at least deprecated if not removed entirely.

Also, make sure you're using recent Clover (I'd recommend my build).

I can't tell which Clover you're using as you forgot to press F2 to generate misc/preboot.log, and CLOVERX64.efi is missing from the Clover folder you uploaded.

For clover I'm using your latest build, from the bitbucket link on your git repo ...
Will look into to correct FixHeaders format and try again ..

Cheers
Jay

Opps ... sorry i told you bum info in that last post ...

Clover is version 4509 ... downloaded a few weeks ago when i updated my desktop to 10.13.5

It was FakeSMC that i got from your repo/bitbucket ... my bad

Wanted to try and avoid doing a clean install as laptop has a lot of apps and data installed hence the direct update route ..

Jay

Edit: Modified config.plist in ACPI section to :-

Code:
        <key>FixHeaders</key>
        <true/>

Last edited:
Wanted to try and avoid doing a clean install as laptop has a lot of apps and data installed hence the direct update route ..

I was just suggesting you try booting with a more generic Clover configuration..., not clean install.

I was just suggesting you try booting with a more generic Clover configuration..., not clean install.

Ahhh ... ok i see what your suggesting ... will try that, FixHeaders=True did not help ..

Cheers
Jay

@RehabMan,

Thanks for the tip ... I created a Clover USB using :-

config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist

From your archive ...

Then by booting the system from that and then selecting the Install OSX from my Nvme i was able to successfully get the High Sierra installer to do a direct update .... had to nurse it a bit but the update worked .... going to work through the diffs between the usb and my installed clover/config and try and figure out what was causing the KP and will post what i ... might help someone in the same situation.

Just one quick question does, the AppleBacklightInjector.kext method as described in your guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Still work with MacOS 10.13.5 ?

It was working fine with 10.12.6 prior to the update and the Injector, ssdt and patch are all in place but no brightness control slider in sys prefs or control via f keys (which was all working with 10.12.6) ... just need to know if it still works or not .... if it does i'll figure it out ...

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back