Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: To anyone new, please see this link for the most recent information about the build configuration:

Hi folks. I've been watching @nch107's thread and noticed @pastrychef had chimed in with an updated EFI folder. With that, I set out to upgrade my mojave install with a 580 to catalina with a 5700xt. The long term plan was to dual boot windows and mac with a 2080ti for windows and the 5700xt for macos. I thought I'd be able to figure this one out, but I'm 8 hours into troubleshooting with no beneficial results. I'm aware of the whatevergreen.kext update and included it in my EFI folder - as well as doing an install through xcode and hackintool on the /lib/ext folder on OS drive itself. Neither option is giving me video when I switch the graphics off the iGPU and change the BIOS settings. However, by using @ModMike's iGPU EFI folder, I was able to boot and run the Catalina 10.15.1 installer via the iGPU. That means my boot drive is currently stuck at 10.15.1 with no way to booth via anything but iGPU EFI. As I mentioned, I downloaded the original EFI zip from nch107's thread here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-9900k-dual-gpu-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt.285107/ - then added the 1.3.4 whatevergreen.kext to EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other - as well as Lilu 1.3.8. Even with those changes, I can't seem to get the 5700xt working in the OS. It's always a blank screen halfway through the apple loading screen. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong with the BIOS configuration at this point - it's running the latest BIOS from ASUS - released around 26 SEPT 19. I tried to use most of ModMike's BIOS settings, but some items don't line up - especially in the graphics settings. I've also included a zip of my updated EFI folder. Here's my hardware:

ASUS ROG STRIX z390-E
16GB G.SKILL 3200 DDR4
EVGA 1000W G3
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT
Nvidia RTX 2080ti Founder's
Samsung 970 EVO - macOS drive
Corsair MP510 - windows drive (not currently installed)
MSI rx580 8GB armor (not currently installed, this was the original card - which also doesn't give video on 10.15.1 with my current settings)

Here's what I've tried in the BIOS:

XMP 1
VT-d, CFG-Lock, Secure Boot Mode - all disabled
Other OS selected
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > AUTO (Mike's guide says PEG, I don't have that - I have Auto, CPU, PCIE, SG. I've been going back and forth between CPU, AUTO, and PCIE as I don't know the "correct" setting for this. CPU or AUTO seems to work with the iGPU EFI folder.
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128 (I've tried the default of 64 too)
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > RC6(Render Standby) > Disable (I've tried enabled too)
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enable (I've tried disabled too)
Advanced Items > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled (I've tried disabled too)

I think that's about it. Would someone be willing to either fix my EFI or tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can do it? Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• DUAL GPU EFI.zip
    24.7 MB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Hi folks. I've been watching @nch107's thread and noticed @pastrychef had chimed in with an updated EFI folder. With that, I set out to upgrade my mojave install with a 580 to catalina with a 5700xt. The long term plan was to dual boot windows and mac with a 2080ti for windows and the 5700xt for macos. I thought I'd be able to figure this one out, but I'm 8 hours into troubleshooting with no beneficial results. I'm aware of the whatevergreen.kext update and included it in my EFI folder - as well as doing an install through xcode and hackintool on the /lib/ext folder on OS drive itself. Neither option is giving me video when I switch the graphics off the iGPU and change the BIOS settings. However, by using @ModMike's iGPU EFI folder, I was able to boot and run the Catalina 10.15.1 installer via the iGPU. That means my boot drive is currently stuck at 10.15.1 with no way to booth via anything but iGPU EFI. As I mentioned, I downloaded the original EFI zip from nch107's thread here - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-9900k-dual-gpu-amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt.285107/ - then added the 1.3.4 whatevergreen.kext to EFI > CLOVER > kexts > Other - as well as Lilu 1.3.8. Even with those changes, I can't seem to get the 5700xt working in the OS. It's always a blank screen halfway through the apple loading screen. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong with the BIOS configuration at this point - it's running the latest BIOS from ASUS - released around 26 SEPT 19. I tried to use most of ModMike's BIOS settings, but some items don't line up - especially in the graphics settings. I've also included a zip of my updated EFI folder. Here's my hardware:

ASUS ROG STRIX z390-E
16GB G.SKILL 3200 DDR4
EVGA 1000W G3
PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT
Nvidia RTX 2080ti Founder's
Samsung 970 EVO - macOS drive
Corsair MP510 - windows drive (not currently installed)
MSI rx580 8GB armor (not currently installed, this was the original card - which also doesn't give video on 10.15.1 with my current settings)

Here's what I've tried in the BIOS:

XMP 1
VT-d, CFG-Lock, Secure Boot Mode - all disabled
Other OS selected
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > AUTO (Mike's guide says PEG, I don't have that - I have Auto, CPU, PCIE, SG. I've been going back and forth between CPU, AUTO, and PCIE as I don't know the "correct" setting for this. CPU or AUTO seems to work with the iGPU EFI folder.
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128 (I've tried the default of 64 too)
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > RC6(Render Standby) > Disable (I've tried enabled too)
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enable (I've tried disabled too)
Advanced Items > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled (I've tried disabled too)

I think that's about it. Would someone be willing to either fix my EFI or tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can do it? Thank you so much for your help!

I've never tried to get a hack running with a supported AMD card and an unsupported Nvidia card installed at the same time. The following guide is what those who have done so seem to follow:

I think that it'll be a lot easier if you first install macOS with the Nvidia card pulled.

Primary display should be set to PCIE (assuming your primary video card is in the PCI-e x16 slot closest to the CPU).

@piano08man Thanks for the shoutout, and I wanted to clarify a few things though. I actually already own an iMac 5k 2017, and I started my process by first copying the internal SSD to the external one I was putting in my Hack. This was done in the latest Mojave. After that I followed Tonymac86 guide and then installed clover and did the configuration (which our savior @pastrychef fixed for me, which was a mess thanks to me lol) one that was done, all I did was plug the external to my hack, booted from it in Bios UEFI and then clover 5096 popped up and then I would hit "O" for options and then going to the GPU I would inject Nvidia, Inject the two AMD GPUs I have. Then exited out the options menu then hit spacebar over my OS then selected the kexts I wanted, selected verbose mode, then hit the top option. Now, this took a lot of trial and error trying to figure out what kext, or patch was goofing up my system.

What then transpired was I decided to update to Catalina when it was released. I simply just booted my Hackintosh through my actual iMac (just go to system prefs and select startup) it took a minute but once it loaded I just updated the Hackintosh to Catalina. Rebooted to my normal internal SSD and then booted my new updated SSD in my hack and ... voila, it worked. No issues no problems. So when Catalina 10.15.1 recently came out, I repeated those steps and saw that I didn't have to inject the two AMD cards anymore. I did, however, have to update Whatevergreen.kext to 1.3.4 and I hd to make sure all my texts were up to date.

Now the GPU issue, I actually have three GPUs installed in ym current hack that is currently running on Catalina 10.15.1, Everything is running perfectly minus the shotty Bluetooth and airdrop that works when it wants to. Besides that, the system recognizes the two Radeon rx 5700xt(s) and it does recognize the Nvidia card it just doesn't know what model it is. I have tested this out in some of my 3D animation apps and this systems flies. If I boot into windows through parallels, it doesn't even use the GPU unless its a egpu, so my current thinking is seeing if I can get the Type C ports to work on this system (Thunderbolt 3 has proven to not work on this MOBO, I tried several PCI cards with no success) and see if it an recognize it then.

Attachments

• IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 231
Also, I agree with wit @pastrychef, sometimes these systems can be a bit fickle but you have to play around with the settings, your best bet to troubleshoot the issue is to use verbose mode and try to see where the issue is happening. BTW I did get a signal when I was plugged up to my external monitor through the 2070 super card in verbose mode, but the moment it loaded the screen remained black. So I added a third GPU the 2nd 5700xt and have been using that as an external and have nothing plugged into the Nvidia card atm.

Absolutely, I appreciate the advice. More context: I have tried installing without any graphics cards in the system - that's what allowed me to finish the 10.15.1 installation on the boot drive. @pastrychef - if I can get it installed and booting off the iGPU with the updated whatevergreen and lilu kexts, it sounds like all I should have to do is shutdown, add the card (yes, the 5700XT will be in the top slot), and change bios primary from CPU graphics to PCIE. Does that sound right? My goal of this was to get a video card that would be natively supported and not super slow like the 580. I honestly don't care about the windows side right now - the Mac side is far more important to me.

I've wiped the drive again, reset my bios and reconfigured using modmike's settings, and will attempt to do a fresh install of catalina using modmike's IGPU EFI. That should at least get me a working boot, then it's a matter of isolating the issue with the 5700XT video. Again, reference on BIOS settings in case I'm doing something wrong there, I do this after a fresh reset of "defaults" via F5:

VT-d, CFG-Lock, Secure Boot - Disabled
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enable
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > CPU (for now)
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > DVMT Pre-Allocated > 128
Advanced Items > System Agent (SA) Graphics Configuration > RC6(Render Standby) > Disable
Advanced Items > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
Advanced Items > Onboard Devices Configuration > Serial Port Configuration > Off

If I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole, or should be starting with different EFI from elsewhere, please let me know. Thanks!

Spaceinvaderx's new macinabox docker container is beginning to look appealing. haha.

Last edited:
it sounds like all I should have to do is shutdown, add the card (yes, the 5700XT will be in the top slot), and change bios primary from CPU graphics to PCIE. Does that sound right?

It depends on how you have your config.plist set up. Please post your EFI folder and I can check it out for you.

Good point, I'm currently using Modmike's IGPU EFI for the installation with the updated whatevergreen 1.3.4 and lilu 1.3.8 kexts. I was going to switch the internal SSD to the DGPU version (with the updated kexts, before installing the GPU and changing the BIOS). Here's the EFI folder with the updated kexts. FWIW, I haven't updated the config.plist at all from Modmike's version considering it's generally the same hardware. That could be a mistake too. I'm not confident in any of my knowledge at this point. Lol.

Attachments

• EFI-catalinaIGPU-modified-bootable.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Good point, I'm currently using Modmike's IGPU EFI for the installation with the updated whatevergreen 1.3.4 and lilu 1.3.8 kexts. I was going to switch the internal SSD to the DGPU version (with the updated kexts, before installing the GPU and changing the BIOS). Here's the EFI folder with the updated kexts. FWIW, I haven't updated the config.plist at all from Modmike's version considering it's generally the same hardware. That could be a mistake too. I'm not confident in any of my knowledge at this point. Lol.

It looks good. I updated a few kexts for you.

Prior to plugging in your video card, change your system definition from iMac18,1 to iMac18,3.

Attachments

• EFI-catalinaIGPU-modified-bootable.zip
    23 MB · Views: 218
After switching the iMac to 18,3 - I had all sorts of visual issues, couldn't even get back in to swap out the model via CCG. I rebooted using the EFI from the installer drive, opened CCG and edited the config again. I'm now using 19,1 instead of 18,3 since it's a 9900K and i'm a 9700K. I did the switch by using clover configurator, mounting the EFI, selecting the EFI config.plist from the "homescreen", clicking SMBIOS, switching the machine to 19,1 via the dropdown, generate a new serial, lookup, generate new SMUUID, save, unmount, reboot.

If you think that will work, I'm ready to try plugging in the video card and changing the output in the BIOS.

Do I need to run 18,3 or will 19,1 be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back