GA Z370N WiFi
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

I'm hoping to find a solution to my problem. I've recently acquired a desktop hackintosh (GA Z370N WiFi + i7 8700). I ordered WiFi module and adapter:
After installing the module and adapter, I immediately had Bluetooth working, but I spend last couple of days trying out all various solutions provided on the forum to make the WiFi work, but without success. WiFi is always off.

I've tried many combinations of kexts and clover configs, to name a few:
I haven't tried messing with ssdt yet as I don't quite understand the process.

Thank you!

EDIT: Uploaded scshots of IORegistryExplorer and added the .ioreg to archive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 16.56.24.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 16.56.24.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.04.47.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.04.47.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,340
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.13.11.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.13.11.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.13.34.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.13.34.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.14.23.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.14.23.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.14.36.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 17.14.36.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 982
  • hackintosh wifi report.zip
    5 MB · Views: 344
Last edited:
@maricn,

Are you sure that the M.2 slot you are using is a PCIe one that supports NVMe SSD's ( 2 lane or 4 lane) and is not just M.2 SATA capable ?

The Bluetooth Chipset on the combo card only pulls power from the M.2 slot, the data is sent via a link cable to a USB header so BT will work on both types of M.2 slot.

If M.2 slot is of the SATA type then then WiFi will not work as it needs to sit on the PCIe bus.

Cheers
Jay

Edit: Sorry have just taken a look at the screen shots on your first post and can see that the WiFi device is indeed appearing on the PCIe bus so you have the adapter installed in a compatible M.2 slot ... my bad.

I've seen this issue before, it can sometimes be resolved by taping pins 54 and 56 on the combo card. See my post on installing the DW1830 for more information. It mentions about taping pins 54 and 56 about half way down. Taping the disable/enable pins isolates the combo card from any PC specific enable/disable logic hardware which i briefly describe in this post.

Last edited:
@maricn,

Are you sure that the M.2 slot you are using is a full PCIe, NVMe SSD capable one and not just M.2 SATA capable ?

If M.2 SATA then then the adapter will not work.

Cheers
Jay

Well, the bluetooth is working, and the stock WiFi module was on that slot.
I've also seen success stories: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-brcmfirmwarerepo-kext-not-working.240322/#post-1651725, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-more-wifi-support.235348/page-2#post-1688708.

I just edited my post above, please refresh the page .....

OMG, you're my hero, @jaymonkey. Thank you!
I just opened the box, put some tape over those pins, and voila! It works! And goodbye, USB tethering :)

My keyboard (working over BT) does lag though, sometimes i get key hanging or repeated. It was working fine so far. But also, it only happened right after boot, and then stopped afterwards..

OMG, you're my hero, @jaymonkey. Thank you!
I just opened the box, put some tape over those pins, and voila! It works! And goodbye, USB tethering :)

Glad the taping Enable/Disable pins hack worked for you ...

My keyboard (working over BT) does lag though, sometimes i get key hanging or repeated. It was working fine so far. But also, it only happened right after boot, and then stopped afterwards..

I recommend installing the latest AirportBrcmFixup ( you will also need the latest release of Lilu) Remove all other WiFi enablers such as the FakePCI Broadcom kexts and remove or disable all Clover patches for WiFi and BT. Make sure you have the latest release of BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext installed in /L/E along with AirportBrcmFixup and Lilu.

Should give you working WiFi and BT with working Handoff and Continuity.

Cheers
Jay

This on a off topic. I have a brand new build in a G5 case. I have 2 Apple wifi cards on different carriers both PCIE X1 carriers one is the newer 3 antenna card and one is OLDER 4 wire card. 4 wire is BCM94360CD. The other is a BCM94360CSAX. Neither card shows up in the device manager or HWinfo 64 on the bus. I do not want to move forward with High Sierra until i sort this out. Both cards do show up on a I5 machine I have built which has a z270 chipset. Neither show up on the new Gigabyte I7 build which is a Z370 gaming 7. The bluetooth shows on both and the Apple driver loads for both 7 and 10, but not the carriers hold the wifi. No listing no hidden listing(s). I moves a internal USB card which is workings to the slot where I was placing the carrier(s) is works. No go on the wifi in this board. Could it be a bad board? The z270 board is and Asus board. Short of pulling the video out use the lower slot for testing I am out of ideas. I have tried and X8 an X4 and a X1 slot with no luck in this gigabyte board.
Whether a driver is installed or not, if the card and carrier are installed correctly in the PCIE slot the card should show up in the OS.
This is obviously not a NGFF carrier I ma talking about here.

Last edited:
@dasboot5,

From reading your post I assume that both the carriers/adapters are Apple WiFi Combo card specific --> to PCIe Carier ?
and you are not using a Apple WiFi Slot Adapter --> A+E M.2 Adapter --> M.2 PCIe Carrier ?

If the latter (which i don't think it is) then there have been mixed results using stacked adapters on certain Motherboards.

If the former, then I don't know what to suggest, you've proven that both cards work in the i5 Z270 system so you know the cards are good ...

The Bluetooth part of the combo card chipset should always work as it's usually connected to an internal USB header.

If the card is not showing up on the PCIe bus on the i7 Z370 using DPCIManager then that is a strange one .. I suppose its possible the BIOS is blacklisting the device .... but I think that would be highly unlikely as most enthusiast motherboards do not black list anything, only OEM manufactures such as HP, Lenovo .. etc implement BIOS black listing.

The only thing i can think of is to try updating your BIOS to the latest release .... if that does not work you could try a MOD BIOS, i've read that Gigabyte are not doing a good job at keeping their BIOS updates in check and many users have taken to using a MOD BIOS thats includes more recent microcode and embedded device ROM updates. Might be worth a try ... at least with Gigabyte you have the Dual BIOS feature so you can switch between the two and keep your existing BIOS as a fall back.

I doubt that there is a problem with the Z370 board if everything else is work ok .... Other than trying an alternative card i don't have any other suggestions for you, I've had very good success with BCM943602CS PCIe/PCI-1X cards which i purchased from eBay.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@dasboot5,

From reading your post I assume that both the carriers/adapters are Apple WiFi Combo card specific --> to PCIe Carier ?
and you are not using a Apple WiFi Slot Adapter --> A+E M.2 Adapter --> M.2 PCIe Carrier ?

If the latter (which i don't think it is) then there have been mixed results using stacked adapters on certain Motherboards.

If the former, then I don't know what to suggest, you've proven that both cards work in the i5 Z270 system so you know the cards are good ...

The Bluetooth part of the combo card chipset should always work as it's usually connected to an internal USB header.

If the card is not showing up on the PCIe bus on the i7 Z370 using DPCIManager then that is a strange one .. I suppose its possible the BIOS is blacklisting the device .... but I think that would be highly unlikely as most enthusiast motherboards do not black list anything, only OEM manufactures such as HP, Lenovo .. etc implement BIOS black listing.

The only thing i can think of is to try updating your BIOS to the latest release .... if that does not work you could try a MOD BIOS, i've read that Gigabyte are not doing a good job at keeping their BIOS updates in check and many users have taken to using a MOD BIOS thats includes more recent microcode and embedded device ROM updates. Might be worth a try ... at least with Gigabyte you have the Dual BIOS feature so you can switch between the two and keep your existing BIOS as a fall back.

I doubt that there is a problem with the Z370 board if everything else is work ok .... Other than trying an alternative card i don't have any other suggestions for you, I've had very good success with BCM943602CS PCIe/PCI-1X cards which i purchased from eBay.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay
You are correct Jay they are not stacked, and I have a 3rd OSXWifi card/carrier that is working on a Generation 4 machine that have and I can try. I have not tried DCPCI Manager on this machine as I have not installed High Sierra yet. These cards should be recognized by HWinfo 64 which is essentially he same as DCPCI on the windows side to some degree. I did the test one carrier at time. The option is to pull the video card GTX 1060 and reenable onboard, use the X16 as the test slot. Note there are two M.2's, a Samusng 960 Pro and a 970 Pro in two of the MB m.2 slots There are 3 slots but this should not really have any bearing. The 970 is not formatted yet it is for High Sierra at a later date. The 960 has Windows 10 pro now and had 7 Ultimate for activation purposes. Having 7 on a generation 8 board causes problems as Microsoft has added badgering popups and has locked out Windows update because they do not want you to load this older operating system on a machine with a Gen 8 processor. There is a workaround for this popup windows update problem. Here is a link to the machine with the problem. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/a-g5-work-in-progress-template-when-finished.256631/#post-1788417
I can pull the USB 3.1 PCIE card, and the video and test these carriers and see if they show up at all. I would hate to have to replace the board to get this to work. There are two hardwire networks on this baord one Intel and the other is a Killer E2500 with a Rivet driver. If anything is may be a conflict with the Killer crap.
The reason there is a separate USB card with a 20 pin is I have the LaserHive front panel option next to the factory Apple power button array. The power button is now a reset buttton. The Lian Li front Panel USB 3.0 ports have 2 20pin cables. one is going direct to the Z370, the other to the USB addon card. Serial ATA power gos direct to addon card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back