Motherboard
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. Mac mini
I can't install the macOS 10.13.4 Security Update. When I click on "restart" to start the installation, the screen turns black with a visible and moveable mouse cursor and nothing happens. When I do a hard reset the system just boots like normal and the update notice is still there. (So the issue is NOT a black screen while or after the installation, but before the installation even starts)

The most recent - as of before the security update - 10.13.4 is running as iMac 14,2. Never had this issue with any update before. The usual reboot, logging out, switching off from the main menu works without issues (but doesn't install an update of course).

Any idea what could went wrong, or where to look?

Update:

It wasn't possible to restart or shut down after this. It was always stuck in a black screen with mouse cursor.

I couldn't find anything in any of the logfiles or any other help to locate the issue.

I recovered from the CCC backup I made before the update, started the update again and everything went without an issue.

My only explanation for this would be that there was an issue with anything I did before the update. So for next updates, I will make sure to do a clean reboot BEFORE starting the update.

Another way you could boot in is to make sure to select Slide=0 in Clover just before you select the installer. It should work with the Nvidia card on the P8Z68.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back