CPU
Intel Core i7 8700K
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Using Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r501 my video card works flawlessly (ATI 4670 1GB, Device ID 0x9490).

I gave Chimera a go (the latest build) and I get a black screen at boot. I can VNC into the mac and it works but the card is only recognized as a 4600 series in system profiler.

I think its just not using the correct frame buffer which needs to be set to "Flicker"

For now I'm using my previously listed Chameleon boot file but would love to use Chimera if I could get it working, any help would be great! Thanks!

-----------------------------
Motherboard: Gigabyte H55M-S2V
CPU: 3.2GHz Core i5
Ram: 4GB DDR3
Video: ATI HD4670 (Device ID 0x9490)
HDD: 2x 1TB Hitachi (1 for Mac OS X, 1 for Time Machine)
Used iBoot & Multibeast with custom DSDT

UPDATE

By forcing a framebuffer at boot everything seems to work although the card is only recognized in system profiler as 4600 series.

To force a frame buffer with Chimera type:
AtiConfig=Flicker -v

(note: Flicker, Motmot, and Vervet all seem to work for me, more to test)

My Radeon HD 4670 works without problems with Chimera & Chameleon, but only outputs to the VGA port, the DVI will either have 256 color picture (with chameleon), or just black screen (with Chimera).

While with GraphicsEnabler=No, both ports have full screen colors, but DVD and GeekBench crashes at startup....

I don't set the Framebuffer, as the log already shows it as Flicker.

I am also the owner of a Sapphire 4670 Ultimate card (9490), and I have similar problems...

For the record regarding all of the issues below I am using Lion 10.7.2 but the problems existed with 10.7.0 previously, too.

With Graphicsenabler=No all ports work, but with no framebuffer loading other than the systems default one, and DVD-Player and EVE Online crash. Geekbench, on the other hand, works fine.

With Graphicsenabler=Yes no framebuffer else than Flicker loads. Additionally only VGA works, unless I connect HDMI after the boot, and switch between VGA and HDMI on my TFT, then I get HDMI output, too. However, DVD-Player and EVE Online both run fine.

Sleep works with VGA+Flicker, but not with HDMI (but strangely enough with no framebuffer loaded, too).

Would love to know how to make the card work with framebuffers over DVI and HDMI ports, too. I suspect something in Chimera is not configured correctly so Flicker always tries VGA and nothing else.

On a note, AtiPorts=3 does not change anything, too. ;)

^ shibirian

I am in the the same exact situation as you... well, it is the same card.....

AtiPorts is already detected as 3 (from the logs), so no need to have it set manually.

^ mcbyte_it

Yes, and I am starting to believe we won't see a fix for it in the foreseeable future :/

Bad luck has it too for me that since this morning my Install KPs at boot with a Radeon framebuffer argh... So I guess it's time for giving a new card a try... and it was such a nice passive one, too ;(

Update: I've got me a Radeon 6450 and it works flawlessly with GraphicsEnabler=Yes at boot and .plist now.

I also added AtiPorts=3 and Darkwake=0 and the system wakes and sleeps just fine now. VGA+HDMI+DVI do work with no issues.

Compared with the 4670 the card is a bit slower in EVE Online, but I guess this is more subjective than real-world performance impacts. I reckon people who game over Steam will not be happy with it nevertheless.

So for everyone else who has issues with a 4670 or wants to get themselves a working passive-cooled card go with the 6450. It's not worth the hassle to get the 4670 working correctly in the end.

shibirian said:
^ mcbyte_it
Update: I've got me a Radeon 6450 and it works flawlessly with GraphicsEnabler=Yes at boot and .plist now.

I also added AtiPorts=3 and Darkwake=0 and the system wakes and sleeps just fine now. VGA+HDMI+DVI do work with no issues.

Compared with the 4670 the card is a bit slower in EVE Online, but I guess this is more subjective than real-world performance impacts. I reckon people who game over Steam will not be happy with it nevertheless.

So for everyone else who has issues with a 4670 or wants to get themselves a working passive-cooled card go with the 6450. It's not worth the hassle to get the 4670 working correctly in the end.

How is the card detected on the Mac OS? ATI Series 6000? can you post a screenshot of System Information?

Is this model officially supported by Apple ?

I'm using ATI HD 4670 (0x9490) with a D-Sub interface monitor.

1/GraphicsEnabler=n -- boot OK, full res but only load RadeonFramebuffer
2/GraphicsEnabler=y AtiConfig=Motmot PCIRootUID=1 -- boot OK, but it's like case 1
3/GraphicsEnabler=y AtiConfig=Flicker PCIRootUID=1 -- black screen. Monitor goes to sleep.

Any suggestion,please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back