Contribute
Register

[Sold Out] Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $65.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $65.99

Sold out at that price.

Still Available: Kingston SSDNow V300 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $65.99

Sold out at that price.

hmm, it let me add one to my cart just now... 11:30a PST. Perhaps out of California no more are available?! strange, that scks! In California they re still available

4:47pm PST still available

Not to necropost, but I recently bought several (12+) of these drives and after opening the first 2, I made the same discovery that several users and hardware sites (tweaktown, anandtech, [H], etc) .

Kingston has pulled a bait and switch with these drives.

As an enthusiast, I've got to share the info here, and I STRONGLY suggest TO anyone who has purchased these drives to try and return them.

Here's the story on these.

So back when hardware review sites were sent the v300's to test , Kingston was sourcing the NAND memory from toshiba, 19nm toggle nand. This will be version 5.0.5 of the v300.

Shortly after Kingston switched to asynchronous Micron 20nm NAND, this will be version 5.0.6 and 5.2.1 of the drives.

Let me put it this way, when handling anything other than compressible data, this thing is almost as slow as a 7200 HD. Heck I have some 7200 which trounce the v300. This thing has SATA 1 SPEEDS!!! No joke. reads at around 179 MB/sec writes writes 78 MB/sec . Yap you read the numbers right. :beachball:

I had both versions of the drives, when running ATTO (i've got pc's setup, duh, that i run benchmarks etc on), which is benching the drive with compressible data, they score beyond the 450/450 read/write that is advertised on the packaging, they hit 525 write/533 read (typical of all LSI sandforce SF2281 based controllers). Being that it is using the SF2281 controller, it handles that sort of data well. HOWEVER that is the least accurate metric to use to judge/qualify a solid SSD for use in the REAL WORLD .

I'm personally going to refrain from purchasing anything from Kingston. I went ahead and got rid of all the drives (via returns to reseller(s)) . I consider this fraud, bait and switch, theft, on Kingston's behalf. They send a solid version of the drive to get reviewed by all the media sites that cover tech, THEN they screw us over by actually selling us FAR INFERIOR merchandise.

Check your drive, bottom right corner above bar code is the version number, anything other than 505 prefix uses the garbage NAND. I recommend purchasers to bench their drives on a win system with AS SSD, crystalmark, or similar. Then comes the call whether to return the drive. Kingston wont RMA, but Newegg has been sympathetic to builders who really feel burned purchasing these drives.

start here if you'd like to read more about the scandal:
http://anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

watching out for my wallet and yours....:thumbup:

cheers

So to summarize aceshighm's post: Avoid the the Kingston SSDNow and in the future too. ;)

Today and tomorrow (March 11-12) The Crucial M500 is available at Newegg for only
111 USD. Its 240GB of storage and makes a fast and reliable SSD boot drive for OS X.

So, for less money per GB you'll get a Marvell controller and over 500 MBs seq. read speeds.

I wish I would have bought a larger SSD like this for a boot drive, you can never have too
much storage in today's computing world :!: 64 GB is much too small, get at least 120 GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694

You must be signed in to your Newegg acct. and subscribed to their email newsletter to use the coupon code.
EMCPGWW228

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back