Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Solarflare SFN5122F Mac OS Driver not more available

Hey All-

I'm trying to install some sfn5122F's in my X299/7980xe workstations (Followed the KGP guide), these are still running High Sierra (recording studio, don't need new OS features). Using the X299 Prime Deluxe.

I first had them in the last PCIe slot (6) and nothing showed up even after installing the driver. Moving to slot 3, still nothing, but adding the kext to the clover other folder did get the right port to show up- oddly just under "Ethernet 2" and not PCI Ethernet 0 or 1. In any case it worked, I shut the computers down a couple times and booted back up and all was good.

Came in this morning, and now I'm getting KP's at boot. I have to remove the SF kext from both L/E and Clover/Other, or pull the cards out in order for it to boot.

Any Ideas? I have 4 cards and any of them work in my server (just an i5).

Thanks

Did you have an issue getting the boot rom to update? Mine is giving an I/O error. Tried with ports disconnected and got the same. The firmware updated though...

Thank you so much for your reply, no problem
Anyone else?

Made firmware update, still cable unplugged, but it is in the solarflare compatibility list (and the cable works...)
Bash:
sfupdate
Solarstorm firmware update utility [v3.3.4]
Copyright Solarflare Communications 2006-2013, Level 5 Networks 2002-2005

en3 - MAC: 00-0F-53-07-CF-CC
    Firmware version:   v3.3.4
    Controller type:    Solarflare SFC9000 family
    Controller version: v4.0.0.6602
    Boot ROM version:   v4.0.0.6589

The Boot ROM firmware is up to date
The controller firmware is up to date

en4 - MAC: 00-0F-53-07-CF-CD
    Firmware version:   v3.3.4
    Controller version: v4.0.0.6602
    Boot ROM version:   v4.0.0.6589

The Boot ROM firmware is up to date
The controller firmware is up to date

Thank you pastrychef, I downloaded and installed drivers from the link you posted. They installed perfectly, but the System Preferences panes always says "cable unplugged". Could somebody help me?
I run sfupdate and it says there is a firmware update inside the driver package. Which version of firmware are you using?
The card is a SFN5122F SFP+ installed in an Xserve 2,1 with a sfp+ dac 10G cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2M
Bash:
sfupdate
Solarstorm firmware update utility [v3.3.4]
Copyright Solarflare Communications 2006-2013, Level 5 Networks 2002-2005

en3 - MAC: 00-0F-53-07-CF-CC
    Firmware version:   v3.3.0
    Controller version: v3.3.0.6259
    Boot ROM version:   v3.3.0.6257

This utility contains more recent Boot ROM firmware [v4.0.0.6589]
   - run "sfupdate --write" to perform an update
This utility contains more recent controller firmware [v4.0.0.6602]

en4 - MAC: 00-0F-53-07-CF-CD
    Firmware version:   v3.3.0
    Controller version: v3.3.0.6259
    Boot ROM version:   v3.3.0.6257

This utility contains more recent Boot ROM firmware [v4.0.0.6589]
This utility contains more recent controller firmware [v4.0.0.6602]
I have this exact same issue with my 5112, did you find a solution? Someone mentioned they dont work with Optical Cable but do work with DAC, not pratical in my situation I need Tranceivers and OM4

Thank you all for the great info.
I've tried installing both the signed and the unsigned driver on my MacPro Mojave fresh install.
Unfortunately at the end of installing the signed, it says that the install has failed and I need to contact the developer.

So I tried to manually copy the kext file to "EFI/CLOVER/kexts/" but I can't open it via "Go to folder".
Could any one please help me ho I would "open" the folder?

Edit:
Btw I have a MacPro, so would the kext then go to:
/System/Library/Extensions

Thank you!
Hey, I'm new here on this forum but not new to the Mac... I just added this card to get 10Gb going on my MacPro 5.1 running Catalina. Just to clarify, I did not have this card or driver installed with previous OS versions. So do I just add the "Solarflare10GbE.kext" file to "/System/Library/Extensions/" or do I need to make a new directory? I don't find a "EFI/CLOVER/kexts/" in Catalina?

Sorry for my lack of understanding. I'm the guys dumb guy that just needs it to work.

Thanks so much in advance for helping. it's been a journey getting to this point. Feels like i'm close to the finish line. I just need your help with this last part (I get very nervous playing around in system folders)...

So do I just add the "Solarflare10GbE.kext" file to "/System/Library/Extensions/"

Just adding it will not work and /System/Library/Extensions/ is incorrect.

Download KextBeast and install the kext to /Library/Extensions/.

Hey, I'm new here on this forum but not new to the Mac... I just adding this card to get 10Gb going on my MacPro 5.1 running Catalina. Just to clarify, I did not have this card or driver installed with previous OS versions. So do I just add the "Solarflare10GbE.kext" file to "/System/Library/Extensions/" or do I need to make a new directory? I don't find a "EFI/CLOVER/kexts/" in Catalina?

Sorry for my lack of understanding. I'm the guys dumb guy that just needs it to work.

Thanks so much in advance for helping. it's been a journey getting to this point. Feels like i'm close to the finish line. I just need your help with this last part (I get very nervous playing around in system folders)...

Hi there.

Bear in mind this thread is for network support on hackintoshes. You'll find a few differences when using a real Mac Pro.

There is no EFI/CLOVER directory on a real mac. You would probably expect to install any third-party kexts in the drive: Library/Extensions folder and rebuild your kext-caches using Terminal if there isn't a pre-made installer. Or use KextBeast from our Downloads section.

System/Library/Extensions is, these days, left just for official Apple kexts.

:)

So I tried using kextbeast to install Solarflare10GbE.kext into /Library/Extensions/. With the Solarflare card installed in the second PCIE slot I rebooted but the Solarflare card is still not showing up in the system preferences network options. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

I have 2 of the same machines. I followed the post and did these steps on Big Sur. Funny enough on one machine everything is showing up and working. On the there is not working but appearing under extensions.

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong?

I'm under the same Open Core version, same os version, same identical machine.

I have recently installed drivers for Solarflare SFN5122F on a MacBook. For anybody doing the same here are the steps required:
  • Disable System Integrity Protection by booting into recovery using Command+R and running csrutil disable, ( detailed info: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection /ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016462-CH5-SW1 )
  • Mount dmg image with driver (I used version 3.3.4 from "SF-111621-LS-1-Solarflare OS X Driver Package _OS X 10.9 - Signed_.dmg". Sha 256 of this dmg should be 024643f3842a6da4b12651e62aa6fff8afbf8c4558a30b41b690e3616eed0b3b)
  • There will be "Solarflare10GbE.pkg" in the mounted image, right click on it and select "Show Package Contents"
  • Copy "Archive.pax.gz" file from "Content" in the package to any temporary location (e.g. desktop)
  • Extract contents of "Archive.pax.gz" and copy kext "Library/Extentions/Solarflare10GbE.kext" from "Archive.pax" to "/Library/Extentions/" on your system drive
  • Change permission of the kext to root using command "sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/Solarflare10GbE.kext"
  • Trigget kext cache update using "sudo touch /Library/Extensions/"
  • Reboot system and check the card is working, you can see details of any problems by looking at "Solarflare10GbE.kext" info in "Extension" section in "System Information"
  • Enable back System Inegrity Protection by running csrutil enable in recovery mode. After enabling System Integrity Protection you will need to confirm the kext is trusted in "General" tab of "Security & Privacy" in "System Preferences"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 22.27.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 22.27.40.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 125
I have recently installed drivers for Solarflare SFN5122F on a MacBook. For anybody doing the same here are the steps required:
  • Disable System Integrity Protection by booting into recovery using Command+R and running csrutil disable, ( detailed info: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection /ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016462-CH5-SW1 )
  • Mount dmg image with driver (I used version 3.3.4 from "SF-111621-LS-1-Solarflare OS X Driver Package _OS X 10.9 - Signed_.dmg". Sha 256 of this dmg should be 024643f3842a6da4b12651e62aa6fff8afbf8c4558a30b41b690e3616eed0b3b)
  • There will be "Solarflare10GbE.pkg" in the mounted image, right click on it and select "Show Package Contents"
  • Copy "Archive.pax.gz" file from "Content" in the package to any temporary location (e.g. desktop)
  • Extract contents of "Archive.pax.gz" and copy kext "Library/Extentions/Solarflare10GbE.kext" from "Archive.pax" to "/Library/Extentions/" on your system drive
  • Change permission of the kext to root using command "sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/Solarflare10GbE.kext"
  • Trigget kext cache update using "sudo touch /Library/Extensions/"
  • Reboot system and check the card is working, you can see details of any problems by looking at "Solarflare10GbE.kext" info in "Extension" section in "System Information"
  • Enable back System Inegrity Protection by running csrutil enable in recovery mode. After enabling System Integrity Protection you will need to confirm the kext is trusted in "General" tab of "Security & Privacy" in "System Preferences"
I've tried this, and every other thing I can think of and can't get the drivers installed to save my life! Aaargh. Big Sur won't let me at /Library/Extensions/ to copy the kext into.

Back