Contribute
Register

[Software] Migrating files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
CPU
1x 2,5-GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-processor (Turbo Boost 3,7 GHz) 256KB L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache
Graphics
1x Intel Iris Pro & 1x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M met 2 GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This seems to most appropriate forum to put this in.

So, after the fresh install I want the files/applications from my old HDD back. For example, my Mail, iPhoto, Dock, Overflow settings, etc.

At first, I used OS X migration assistant. Bad news there, because my main HDD is only 128GB and my old HDD is 500GB. First, I only imported the smallest stuff. Programs, settings, etc. Everything that needs to be on the SSD.

Then, I moved my home folder in the OS X settings to let my home folder reside on the notso-SSD, a 1TB HDD. That's when the **** hits the fan. Everything was imported, but I couldn't login. System gave an error. I moved the already imported files to my new useraccount, deleted the old useraccount (which I used for installing OS X on the new machine).

After a reboot, I couldn't access the Extra folder anymore, because it was made with my old useraccount. So I did what I thought was smart, renaming the new useraccount in the old one. So far so good. I have access to my home folder again, and most of my files are there.

But, when I start Mail, no mailboxes, nothing. OverFlow (great prog!) doesn't list the apps from my old computer anymore, etc.

Then, I realized not everything was copied. The library listed under my homefolder wasn't copied.

Now, my question is:
How do I get everything in the state it was on my old computer? Copying the whole Library isn't an option, it gives errors. What are the important files/folders?

Thanks!

There is another way If you can boot from the old drive install Carbon Copy Cloner on it. Then after the format of the ssd just clone without copying everything. (can also try Disk Inventory X to find big files i.e. movies)

You will need to reinstall chameleon after cloning before booting. Try running multibeast and selecting the ssd drive.
Good idea! Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back