Contribute
Register

Software Fusion and RAID alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't get the SSD to boot on the 640L but I just tried using the motherboard SATA III connector to boot the SSD and it actually works haha. I could NEVER get those ports to boot or even see any hard drives connected to them when I was running a windows only installation on that same SSD...so crazy. The read speed of the Samsung 850 Pro SSD on the motherboard SATA III ports aren't very good but they're marginally better than the SATA II port speeds.

I'm using the Blackmagic Disk Speed program to measure the speed of the SSD on the SATA II vs. SATA III ports

Samsung 850 Pro SSD on motherboard SATA II port:
~150 MB/s Read
~220 MB/s Write

Samsung 850 Pro SSD on motherboard Marvell SATA III port:
~210 MB/s Read
~380 MB/s Write

Samsung 850 Pro SSD on Highpoint 640L SATA III port:(after having to use the Clover USB stick to boot the SSD every time)
~220 MB/s Read
~400 MB/s Write

I might just give up on the 640L and stick with the onboard SATA III connectors now that I've found they can boot the SSD without the Clover USB stick. There isn't much speed gain from using the Highpoint card SATA III port vs. the motherboard SATA III port. I was hoping for closer to 500 MB/s read and write speeds from the Samsung 850 Pro SSD but it seems like that might not be in the "cards" for me >.< Any ideas on how to increase the speed with some kext tweaks or other software manipulation? Maybe I'll get another 850 Pro SSD and see if a raid configuration will work with the motherboard marvell controller ports. Thanks for bouncing ideas roboman01. :thumbup:

I has to be something in your clover installation Numark. I just broke my Raid 0 configuration purposely to test this out. I cloned OSX to another hdd, external and internal, booted from External, and then cloned OS X back to one of the SSDs attached to the 640l. Its setup on non-Raid unconfigured, just like yours and I have no issues whatsoever. So instead of using Raid I am using both as Concatenated Disk Set and it still boots. I am using this setup in OS X Disk utility to give me more space as these SSDs are only 250gbs each and now it shows as ONE 500gbs. I use Pro Tools and many other DAW applications.

So it has to be something in your clover setup, it has nothing to do with the 640l card...It works OOB and shows up in OS X. If I were u I would delete the EFI folder from your EFI partition and reinstall clover. Find the POST installation tutorial for clover, not preinstallation as they are TWO different installs. I am also not running my configuration as Mac Pro 6,1 and it works great, the only problem was the VIDEO was not being recognized due to the changes in 6,1 but somebody released a kext to fix this.

I has to be something in your clover installation Numark. I just broke my Raid 0 configuration purposely to test this out. I cloned OSX to another hdd, external and internal, booted from External, and then cloned OS X back to one of the SSDs attached to the 640l. Its setup on non-Raid unconfigured, just like yours and I have no issues whatsoever. So instead of using Raid I am using both as Concatenated Disk Set and it still boots. I am using this setup in OS X Disk utility to give me more space as these SSDs are only 250gbs each and now it shows as ONE 500gbs. I use Pro Tools and many other DAW applications.

So it has to be something in your clover setup, it has nothing to do with the 640l card...It works OOB and shows up in OS X. If I were u I would delete the EFI folder from your EFI partition and reinstall clover. Find the POST installation tutorial for clover, not preinstallation as they are TWO different installs. I am also not running my configuration as Mac Pro 6,1 and it works great, the only problem was the VIDEO was not being recognized due to the changes in 6,1 but somebody released a kext to fix this.
Thanks for running those checks and for all of the info. Just curious, what kind of read/write speeds are you getting from the 640L card when you're not in raid configuration? I'm wondering if it's even worth it to use the card vs. my onboard SATA III ports if I'm only going to be seeing an extra 10-20 MB/s increase. Run Black Magic disk speed test and see what your numbers are. If they're a lot higher than my read/write speeds, then I might try to make the 640L card work. I think my Samsung 850 Pro SSD is capable of a lot faster read/write speeds than what I'm getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back