Contribute
Register

Socket 2011 X79 Motherboards and CPUs Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
if apple doesnt update the mac pros soon im going to replace my current hackintosh with a hackintosh built with one of these once you guys get it working. then I can use the $1000 in apple giftcards i have saved up for either a cinema display or a macbook air.

Anyone try this yet? I want to use a gigabyte board but the two for sale so far only have 4 memory slots, which kinda kills it for me.

Well, the performance may be great, but the motherboards and the CPUs are pretty expensive compared to the current Sandy Bridge (I definitely won't be buying), and I believe there is no support in Mac OSX Lion for them at this point.

We shall see whether future versions of Mac OSX Lion support it in the future.

Rankel said:
Anyone try this yet? I want to use a gigabyte board but the two for sale so far only have 4 memory slots, which kinda kills it for me.

The GA-X79-UD5 has 8 memory slots but it is still not yet available.

The Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 can be had at Newegg for ~$339.

I was going to build a Core i7 3930K / X79 (likely GA-X79-UD5) as soon as they started to ship. I noticed ASUS and MSI seemed to be first out of the gate with motherboard availability. Anyway, I decided to wait at least for the C2 stepping as it seems that VT-d hardware support isn't functional in C1 stepping.

Also, there was no Intel SRT (although ASUS has their own implementation), no SAS, missing SATA Ports (most boards were going to have 14 SATA ports) and so on.

Basically there are missing features and this was done to get the platform out the door in Q4 2011. Think P67 vs Z68 chipset. The P67 looked rushed if you think about the recall and the added features of Z68.

I'll wait a bit,....

Fix it first,....

Then I'll bite,....

Q1 or Q2 2012,...

Maybe I'm missing something, but according to the Anandtech's review, none of these CPU are that much faster than regular SB.
So, i'm missing the reason as to why anyone will want one, besides the amount of memory that they can hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back