Gigabyte X79-UD3
CPU
Intel Core i7 4930k
Graphics
MSI GTX770 2GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey all!

So, I'm on the brink of getting myself a completely new rig, exiting stuffs!
Now, I'm a composer. I work with applications like Sibelius, Kontakt and Logic Pro. Especially Logic Pro can really utilize your processor to it's full capabilities, including all cores.
But as of now I'm in a dubio between socket 1150 processors in combination with the Z97 chipset, or a socket 2011 processor with the X79 chipset.
So, basically it's between the 4770K, which is a quadcore 1150 processor, and the 4930K, which is a six-core 2011 processor.

The 1150/Z97 chipset has just been released and offers support for the next generation intel processors. So if I get myself a 4770K now, I will have to settle for a quad-core now but in the future there may be 6-core processors for socket 1150 and Z97 chipset coming out? I couldn't find any info on this subject, so maybe you have more info on that. Point is; for now the Z97 chipset seems the most future proof chipset you can get.

As for the 2011 socket/X79 chipset; this is a bit of a weird one. As of now the 4930K processor seems like a very trusty and future-proof pick, I imagine I won't grow weary of a 6-core processor anytime soon. The problem is the chipset; most boards with the X79 were released/produced as early as 2011. That's 3 years ago. I'd be buying a system with practically outdated parts, apart from the CPU. But since the chipset and 2011 socket are this "old" already I guess the 4th generation i7 processors will be the last generation supported by this chipset/socket?

All in all, this would mean that on the X79 side of things I'd have to upgrade my motherboard too when upgrading the processor. And I'm not even taking into account the recent futures like the M.2 SATA connection offered by the new Z97 chipset.
If I'd go with the Z97 chipset/1150 socket I'd be very futureproof concerning processors, but for now I'd be 'stuck' with a quad-core processor without the guarantee a 6-core or 8-core might ever be released for the 1150 socket.

So, that was a bit of a story! I hope you got through it.
Be sure to let me know what your thoughts are on this matter, it's much appreciated!

Niels

This is a well crafted query VroepVroep. :clap:
I'm looking forward to reading the replies. My friend is in the beginnings of his career as a composer and I'm helping him build a budget DAW. My expertise lies more on the visual side of things so I've had to do a bit of research in to the world of audio. What I've learned so far has left me with similar questions and considerations.

Have you turned up anything concrete on the ability for the Gigabyte Z97 chipset/1150 socket to handle a full complement (all four slots) of memory without freezing? The freezing seems to come up more frequently than I'm comfortable with when researching the Gigabyte Z87 boards.

Well, just a few days ago the X99 chipset was revealed, the successor of the X79. According to the known information the X99 chipset along with it's new 59xx processors will be released in the second half of this year. If I wasn't so damn eager to get a new system the choice would've been easy. Rumor has it that the new 59xx processors will be sold at the same price as the 49xx processors, so that's pretty much a no-brainer. Guess I'll have to wait a fair bit before getting my new system. Buying a 49xx on the 'old' X79 chipset is just not worth it now I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back