Contribute
Register

So what do the new iMacs mean for for i9-9900k users?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Not using Intel graphics means dedicated cooling is available to the CPU
What about using the iGPU for Quicksync ? Has Apple changed this in the new iMacs ?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
When you look at the Intel Z370 or Z390 chipset it's really interesting to note how much of what it offers the iMac simply won't use at all. From RST PCIe storage down to Intel smart sound and integrated Intel Wifi. Also, you get just 4 USB ports and no open PCIe slots to use the available PCIe lanes. No available sata ports. It's not a good match at all but is really the only choice Apple has right now. Also indicates why they will someday go with their own custom A series chips and the T2 coprocessors in all desktop Macs. Makes the choice of a high end i9 hackintosh look like a very good option today. You can potentially use most of the USB and PCIe provided by this chipset. Of course, depends on which motherboard you will build with. Hopefully the 2019 iMac will have full macOS support for the next 5-7 years but as usual there are no guarantees.

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
When you look at the Intel Z370 or Z390 chipset it's really interesting to note how much of what it offers the iMac simply won't use at all. From RST PCIe storage down to Intel smart sound and integrated Intel Wifi. Also, you get just 4 USB ports and no open PCIe slots to use the available PCIe lanes. No available sata ports. It's really not a good match at all but is really the only choice Apple has right now. Also indicates why they will someday go with their own custom A series chips in desktop Macs. Makes the choice of a high end i9 hackintosh look like a very good option. You can potentially use most of the USB and PCIe provided by this chipset. Of course, depends on which motherboard you will build with.

View attachment 394584
I'm hoping that Apple uses the CNVI Wi-Fi with the new iMacs. That will make life much easier for users who are on Z390.

I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't even offer the option for 10GBase-T. That could have put some of those PCI-e lanes to good use...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm hoping that Apple uses the CNVI Wi-Fi with the new iMacs. That will make life much easier for users who are on Z390.

I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't even offer the option for 10GBase-T. That could have put some of those PCI-e lanes to good use...
the if you got a card with the same 10GB chip as what is on the iMac Pro would that not work natively?

something like this:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
2X Vega FE
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone manage to their 9900k to show natively?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone manage to their 9900k to show natively?
Yup. Please see this post: