Contribute
Register

So is the ATI 6870 probably the best choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was looking for a well supported video card and after much reading I came to the conclusion that the 6870 works OOB and 100% functional. Any other recommendations or comments before I go out to purchase this? :?:

I would recommend it!
Works great in OS X.
And if you dual boot windows 7 its great for gaming.

I played battlefield 3 beta with graphics up the highest and had no problem.

Just make sure you have a high enough PSU.
I have no worries, i have the Corsair AX1200 (;

lxlifestream said:
I would recommend it!
Works great in OS X.
And if you dual boot windows 7 its great for gaming.
^^^
This. Fully agree with all the above.
I'm running three 1920x1200 monitors off mine - it's just an awesome card.

Thanks for the replies... I figured so much.

I ended up ordering the MSI 6870 because it looks like a very nice quality card. Very quiet and great cooling.

It really sucks however because we have to use hardware that is usually a generation behind... I found the 6950 (which can be flashed to a 6970) for about $20 more then the 6870 I purchased.

nzalog said:
It really sucks however because we have to use hardware that is usually a generation behind... I found the 6950 (which can be flashed to a 6970) for about $20 more then the 6870 I purchased.

True, but I wouldn't worry. Console yourself (if this helps) with the knowledge that if you did get a 6950, even that will be yesterday's technology in a few months' time...

In the meantime, you still have a card that can handle Crysis on its highest settings (it even plays passably on my rig under OSX using CiderPorts) - so what more do you need? ;)

The 6870 works with GE=no? So native? Or do I have to set GE=yes and Duckweed?

I am curious if you set ge to yes or no as well. I just ordered my msi 6870 and I am replacing a 9800gtx so it is currently set to yes. Any other suggestions when replacing. Im using custom dsdt on p35-ds4 gigabyte board running 10.7.2. Thank in advance!

Got my Gigabyte HD6870 today. Removed old faithful "Batmobil HD5770" pop the new one in booted up its like magic it works lol. Next bag opened up my copy of Battlefield 3, switched over to my Windows 7 drive, install the new drivers, reboot normal stuff install BF3 am in heaven :thumbup:

just wanted to say I love my msi r6870. I just replaced my 9800gtx and this card was simply plug and play on 10.7.2 :headbang: Great upgrade, does anyone have any advice on overlocking the card? If I over clock in windows will it help in osx or should I flash it somehow? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back