Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI (ITX)
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
R9 380X
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I never game. I use Davinci Resolve, Adobe apps and AVID. Which way should I go?

If I go with Vega 56 I have to upgrade my PSU (I only have 1x8 PCI pin out) and I'd rather not do that.

In Geekbench the Nvidia card beats AMD in OSX, and pretty much in Windows too. In OpenCL scores. And the apps I mention can use CUDA instead. But Geekbench is not reality..

I don't mind staying on 12.6 Sierra if Nvidia don't release drivers for High Sierra..

Any help, please.. I have no idea which is the best route. In my country, there are 1080 cards available for $520 and Vega 56 cards for $410. But I have to get a new PSU if I go Vega.

Why not use one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV1Z428/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 to add another 8 pin power connector for the AMD GPU ? For the apps/programs you will use you'll probably be better off with Nvidia. That's a heck of a good price you can get on that Vega 56 GPU. The native support in High Sierra is also very appealing as well.

Last edited:
Why not use one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV1Z428/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 to add another 8 pin power connector for the AMD GPU ? For the apps/programs you will use you'll probably be better off with Nvidia. That's a heck of a good price you can get on that Vega 56 GPU. The native support in High Sierra is also very appealing as well.
I have read so many mixed reports of how good CUDA on OSX really is, so now I don't know anymore. I thought it was a closed deal but alas it is not. OpenCL has come a long way and I have no idea.. but someone should know.

Thats a good mod there.

I have a 430W PSU. The total maximum Vega 56 power draw in 100% stress tests, which I will never use, is 236 W.

Which means the rest of my system would have to stay under 200 W power draw. And everywhere I have looked from real tests from the wall, it definitely should. Plus I would probably never reach 236, maybe 200.

But most power calculators suggests at least 550W minimum for a setupnlike mine with Vega 56 and if you ask individuals the often say Buy at least 750W super quality minimum $130.. without any arguments on why.

Are they all wrong? I think they are but one has to evaluate ones own analyzing as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back