Contribute
Register

So about motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally i have a question.

Why is it that mostly all the approved MoBos i see are gaming versions? I mean, is that just what most people buy and test with or is there some other reason that i cannot see?

Manufacturer's marketing technique to attract buyer's. These motherboards probably have BIOS overclocking settings.

Generally i have a question.

Why is it that mostly all the approved MoBos i see are gaming versions? I mean, is that just what most people buy and test with or is there some other reason that i cannot see?
PC gaming makes more money these days than the entire Hollywood movie industry. So the motherboard makers are capitalizing on that by adding led lighting and more overclocking features etc. The so called gaming motherboards aren't necessarily better than non-gaming ones.

PC gaming makes more money these days than the entire Hollywood movie industry. So the motherboard makers are capitalizing on that by adding led lighting and more overclocking features etc. The so called gaming motherboards aren't necessarily better than non-gaming ones.

I totally get why the manufactures call them gaming boards. The question is what do these mobos have about them. I mean why is it more common that gaming boards are used in the hackintosh builds. Do people just not test other boards?

I totally get why the manufactures call them gaming boards. The question is what do these mobos have about them. I mean why is it more common that gaming boards are used in the hackintosh builds. Do people just not test other boards?
It's percentages, there are now more "gaming" boards than regular, non-gaming ones.

When I was looking for a board, I found that the comparison tool on the Gigabyte site was very helpful. I soon realized that there are "clusters" of similar boards that are basically the same but vary for certain details. The comparison tool makes it possible to list side-by-side all the specs of several boards you might be interested in. In a particular "cluster" most of the specs are identical but the number of USB 2, 3 and 3.1 slots vary, occasionally the number of PCIe slots vary, the on-board audio may be different, number of SATA connections may vary and the number and type of video outputs vary. The latter may not be important if you plan to use an add-on GPU but is crucial if you plan to use the CPU's on-board video. The gaming boards usually have led lights with user-configurable colors. That is important if you have a windowed case and want the inside to look like Mr. Spock's work station on the USS Enterprise. By making a detailed comparison, you can find the best board for your needs and within your budget.

In the June buyer's guide, the most recommended boards for Customac Pro are NOT gaming boards. And in the full list of the listed Gigabyte recommended boards, less than half are designated as "gaming" variants.

This is a bit like buying a new car. If your heart is set on a Ford Focus, there may be 3 or 4 models that are basically the same car but with more (and more expensive) bells and whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back