Contribute
Register

Snow leopard working great till now -- PLease help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell i7567
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630 + GTX 1050 Ti, 3840x2160
Hi

I built a hackontish using the budget build 2011 / custome build that i got on this site and installed using mult-beast.

The computer has been working fine for the past 8 months until this morninng. I use the computer mainly for pro tools...

Basicall i'm getting stuck on the apple screen with the spinning wheel and then the computer just turn itself off.

I tried booting by typing in -v / verbose method at the start so that i could find out where the snag was. Here are my screen shots before i got before the compurter turned itself off..

screen shot 1 - https://www.box.com/s/4371e6d576e9766dd3b5

screen shot 2 - https://www.box.com/s/9bb96e519b3f85c1cc5d

It's basically saying that that snow leopard could not be verified!

If anyboody could point in the right direction of how to get past this problem or why it occured in the first place it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

barryshock said:
It's basically saying that that snow leopard could not be verified!

No, that's not what it's saying. Unless I'm completely mistaken, you named your HD "Snow Leopard". It's saying you have a disk error. I hope you back up regularly.

Use your iBoot CD to boot off your retail Snow Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility. Use DU to verify your Hard Drive. I'm guessing you're going to get errors. Hopefully Disk Utility can fix it. If not (you have your back up right?) your HD might actually have a physical problem. Dump it, get a new drive and reinstall.

Thank you very much for your quick reply Tsur!! As we say in Ireland, you're a legend!!!

I'll try that out and let you know how I get on :)

I have another question.

I can't seem to find my original Snow Leopard Retail Disk, I'll check shops tomorrow. Hopefully they still sell them!!
However I have a Leopard Install Disk and have a Windows 7 Disk. Do you think i could use any of them to try and repair the disk (even though i have snow leopard installed), and would they boot from the iboot cd??

Most of my recording are recorded on external hard drives so i'm not to worried about losing data so would doing a clean install help fix the disk as well?

Thanks....

I'm pretty positive (though not 100% certain) that Leopard's Disk Utility will have no problems verifying and hopefully repairing your disk.

Can't thank you enough for your help and direction here Tsur!!!

After turning the home place upside down i found my SL retail dvd. Disk Utility couldn't repair the volume but rather than get a new disk so I decided to just wipe it and reformat it and do a fresh install of snow leopard. Everything seems to be working good again. Lets hope it stay like this :)

Thanks again!!

barryshock

Glad its working out for you now - but I have had similar experiences where you will get an error on the drive and the system halts - I have had to do like you and run the Retail DVD disk utility to check the disk and didnt resolve the problem.

What I have done is to load iBOOT and enter single user mode to get access to the Hard disk
then you can mount the hd in r/w mode and run a fsck on the drive

this is the best way of resolving corrupted journaling tables and files

the two commands are displayed on your screen in reverse order when you enter single user mode which is text based
You can run a fsck in read only mode but thats not going to help

do run the fsck check in r/w mode several times until its clean.

Thanks totenkopf

Is this something I can do while I have the operating system up an running again or would I need to do a clean install again after performing this task? Is it possible that I am going to get the same problem again as I haven't repaired the disk. I only reformatted and re installed.

Thanks

barryshock

If you have a mac os up and running then I would not do this as I have had mixed results with this method
Found it best when nothing worked or when the OS Boot loader trys to mount the os just before the desktop and it fails w line on the screen mentioning the fsck error that wasnt resloved -
Most Unix /Linix OS do a mount check just before they go into multi user mode
windows does this during the inital load sequence.

If you did a fresh format then yes you may have resolved these errors - but do try to use the -v swith from time to time to see if you get any fsck errors as you never know when issues arrrise due to bad sectors

tote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back