Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Greetings,
So using the build specs from the Buyer's guide I assembled a Z390 I AORUS Mini Custo Mac with an Intel I5-8400 LGA1151 processor. I happened to already have a Snow Leopard DVD (two actually) so figured I would start with IBoot 3.3 path to loading Snow Leopard. Having looked through the various topics on the forum I have tried PCIRootUID=1, -x, -v, -s and GraphicsEnabler=No options. I have set all the common BIOS settings per the IBoot guide (i.e. BIOS to ACHI mode.) There was no HPET to 64 bit mode setting for this particular BIOS. With all that the furthest I can get it to the grey screen Apple logo after I boot the Snow Leopard DVD after IBoot.

While some users have experienced success after tweaking other BIOS settings, I wanted to take a pause before I start changing things. One thing is that I have way more than 4 Gig of memory on this board, mainly because the smallest installed option from the buyers guide was 16MB total. But that and the fact the installation guides for this go back nearly ten years it seems, it got me thinking...is the above motherboard too modern for something like Snow Leopard and will never work using the IBoot method? Should I go with a more modern OS X to start?

I just used Snow Leopard because I had it and the IBoot method seemed very straight forward.

Thanks
Dino

is the above motherboard too modern for something like Snow Leopard and will never work using the IBoot method? Should I go with a more modern OS X to start?
Yes, this is correct. You need to get at least High Sierra 10.13.6. Better if you could get Mojave. Borrow someone's real Mac to download the OS and make your Unibeast installer.

Yes, this is correct. You need to get at least High Sierra 10.13.6. Better if you could get Mojave. Borrow someone's real Mac to download the OS and make your Unibeast installer.
Thanks!

Yes, this is correct.
it's not. i just ran 10.6.8 on an 8700 a few weeks ago. mouse and keyboard was glitchy but it worked.

You need to get at least High Sierra 10.13.6
that's not correct either. 10.12.6 works fine with coffee lake.

Better if you could get Mojave
no need. see above.

So I did get Mojave up and running with the z390+i5-8400. Then discovered that Mojave and Photoshop CS5 don't get along very well. So decided to do a Sierra build. I can get Unibeast to install and boot Sierra but the Sierra version of Multibeast is not so straight forward in that I keep getting the slash circle. So will have to start researching on that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back