Contribute
Register

Snow Leopard with ASUS P6T Deluxe, Intel i7-930 Not showing all cores?? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare (F9H BIOS)
CPU
i7-9700k
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've just recently installed 10.6.8 on an ASUS P6T Deluxe, with an Intel i7-930, 12GB of ram, and everything boots and runs as it should. However, for some reason or another, I can't get OSX to recognize all cores. I've downloaded a custom DSDT specifically for the 930 on Snow Leopard, used the MacPro 4,1 definition, repaired permissions, set the BIOS to using all cores and all that good stuff, but System Profiler still shows Number Of Processors: 1, Total Number Of Cores: 2, Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s.

I'm not sure if it's normal there, but the big issue is that this computer was converted from Windows to Mac in a professional recording studio, and upon opening ProTools 9, It's only recognizing 2 processors, when it's supposed to be recognizing 8, from what I'm told. I'm about ready to just pull my hair out of my head on this, lol. Is there something I need to key in through smbios or boot.plist to enable showing all cores/processors, or is there a file somewhere someone could point me to? Thanks in advance!

I've just recently installed 10.6.8 on an ASUS P6T Deluxe, with an Intel i7-930, 12GB of ram, and everything boots and runs as it should. However, for some reason or another, I can't get OSX to recognize all cores. I've downloaded a custom DSDT specifically for the 930 on Snow Leopard, used the MacPro 4,1 definition, repaired permissions, set the BIOS to using all cores and all that good stuff, but System Profiler still shows Number Of Processors: 1, Total Number Of Cores: 2, Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s.

I'm not sure if it's normal there, but the big issue is that this computer was converted from Windows to Mac in a professional recording studio, and upon opening ProTools 9, It's only recognizing 2 processors, when it's supposed to be recognizing 8, from what I'm told. I'm about ready to just pull my hair out of my head on this, lol. Is there something I need to key in through smbios or boot.plist to enable showing all cores/processors, or is there a file somewhere someone could point me to? Thanks in advance!

ssccrab

As to getting your cores working - the issue maybe in the DSDT file ....

See this link ...
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...l-x58-mobos-core-i7-cpus/page-14#entry1002881

See a post by CCX4700

You can try to boot w/o the DSDT at startup type dsdt=null

Thanks a lot for the reply, man. I looked through the link you sent me, and found a couple of different DSDT's to try pertaining to the i7-930 I have. For some reason though, I still can't get Pro Tools 9 to show all processors. I guess it's supposed to be showing 8 and it's only showing 2. Also, System Profiler still only shows 1 Processor, 2 Cores. I've tried patching with DSDT Patcher and installing with Multibeast. Any other tips I might be able to try, or is this working properly as it stands? Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the reply, man. I looked through the link you sent me, and found a couple of different DSDT's to try pertaining to the i7-930 I have. For some reason though, I still can't get Pro Tools 9 to show all processors. I guess it's supposed to be showing 8 and it's only showing 2. Also, System Profiler still only shows 1 Processor, 2 Cores. I've tried patching with DSDT Patcher and installing with Multibeast. Any other tips I might be able to try, or is this working properly as it stands? Thanks!

ssccrab

Your problem maybe in the configuration of the SMBios file settings that you have.

The default setting for install for OSX is SMBios 3.1 - this represents that most general of Mac's and the most Generat of Hack components on the market.

Changing this to reflect a Mac that uses your CPU (such as a Mac Pro) which would have a different SMBios version than the 3.1 : Their is a website that lists Mac components based upon model numbers of Apple products. ( I can find it I am not on the normal computer )

A utility that will help you is from the community software in Downloads / Software - called Chameleon Wizzard.

You may want to search the net for some explanation of terms and how too's on the use of this program.

And as always any changes can cause issues - so having a dupe of the boot volume on another Drive is Highly recommended - use of such programs as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper will do this for you (test but verify after).

Ok, I'm officially beat. I cannot for the life of me get this thing to activate all 8 cores. I've tried messing with the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Library with bus ratio's, tried numerous different combinations of smbios in the Extra's folder, messed with the org.chameleon in Extras, tried different DSDT's, and I just can't get all of them going. Could someone possibly pass along a DSDT or maybe give me another tip at what I'm missing? Thanks for all the help!

*bump* Does anyone have any answers for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back