Graphics
EVGA GeForce GT 740 Superclocked Single Slot 2GB DDR3
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all. First time building a hackintosh. Shout out to all of you for your great help. Before I post my
question, here are my hackintosh specs:

Motherboard: GA- Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU: intel core i7-4790K
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3
Hard Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
Power Supply: Corsair RM Series 650 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply - CP-902005
Optical Drive: Optiarc SATA DVD RW Burner Drive with DVD+R DL Overburn up to 8.7GB
Wifi Card: 4 Antennas 802.11AC Wifi BCM94360CD Wireless Network Card with Bluetooth 4.0 OS X Yosemite 10.10 (have not yet installed wifi card to the motherboard)

I'm very new to building a computer so everything is new. I have a question about updating to OSX El Capitan. I didn't have access to a Mac so I have used the iBoot plus Multibeast method to install Snow Leopard. I have been able to use iBoot Haswell to boot Snow Leopard to my computer, but I have not been able to boot Snow Leopard from my hard drive.

I have been reading forums, Google searching, watching videos, and trying several combinations of boot prompt commands (-v, -x, -f, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=No and more commands) for days, and I still have not been able to get Snow Leopard to boot from the hard drive. I have also unplugged my GPU and tried, but still doesn't work.

But Snow Leopard seems to work fine when I boot from the iBoot Haswell disc. Internet connections can be a little slow at times when connected by Ethernet, but no big deal for now.

Here is my question.

Can I go ahead and update from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, despite having to boot Snow Leopard from the disc?

Thanks everyone for your help. Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

It seems, according to how MultiBeast and this booting stuff works, you're better off making a UniBeast USB of the El Capitan Mac App Store installer (your ElCap.app in the Applications folder) from Snow Leopard, then a clean install. Don't try installing ElCap from its app as intended, the reboot won't work.

Hi all. First time building a hackintosh. Shout out to all of you for your great help. Before I post my
question, here are my hackintosh specs:

Motherboard: GA- Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU: intel core i7-4790K
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3
Hard Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
Power Supply: Corsair RM Series 650 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply - CP-902005
Optical Drive: Optiarc SATA DVD RW Burner Drive with DVD+R DL Overburn up to 8.7GB
Wifi Card: 4 Antennas 802.11AC Wifi BCM94360CD Wireless Network Card with Bluetooth 4.0 OS X Yosemite 10.10 (have not yet installed wifi card to the motherboard)

I'm very new to building a computer so everything is new. I have a question about updating to OSX El Capitan. I didn't have access to a Mac so I have used the iBoot plus Multibeast method to install Snow Leopard. I have been able to use iBoot Haswell to boot Snow Leopard to my computer, but I have not been able to boot Snow Leopard from my hard drive.

I have been reading forums, Google searching, watching videos, and trying several combinations of boot prompt commands (-v, -x, -f, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, GraphicsEnabler=No and more commands) for days, and I still have not been able to get Snow Leopard to boot from the hard drive. I have also unplugged my GPU and tried, but still doesn't work.

But Snow Leopard seems to work fine when I boot from the iBoot Haswell disc. Internet connections can be a little slow at times when connected by Ethernet, but no big deal for now.

Here is my question.

Can I go ahead and update from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, despite having to boot Snow Leopard from the disc?

Thanks everyone for your help. Look forward to hearing your suggestions.
You are unable to boot from HDD because the SL kernel has no support for Haswell hardware. Installing SL on Haswell hardware is only a temporary step to get to the App Store to download the latest OS X version available.

At this point your best path forward is to download El Capitan, create a USB installer either by the create install media method or using UniBeast and installing El Capitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back