Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI h61i-e35 (b3)
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K - 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
Graphics
On Board
Hi everyone,
I've just attempted to install Snow Leopard on my first Hackintosh. So apologies if this thread has come up before.
I used iBoot Ivy Bridge to get started with original Snow Leopard Retail disc
Everything went quite smoothly until I installed MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.
I opened MultiBeast first and installed MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8. Ran MultiBeast and installed EasyBeast.
I rebooted and it stalls on the Apple Logo
My system is a MSI h61i-e35 (b3) mini ITX, Intel Core i3-3220T 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM with on board video.
Any help would be great.
Cheers
Spidowski

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I've just attempted to install Snow Leopard on my first Hackintosh. So apologies if this thread has come up before.
I used iBoot Ivy Bridge to get started with original Snow Leopard Retail disc
Everything went quite smoothly until I installed MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.
I opened MultiBeast first and installed MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8. Ran MultiBeast and installed EasyBeast.
I rebooted and it stalls on the Apple Logo
My system is a MSI h61i-e35 (b3) mini ITX, Intel Core i3-3220T 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM with on board video.
Any help would be great.
Cheers
Spidowski
Your HD2500 grpahics (i3-3220T) is not supported by Snow Leopard. HD2500 may work for the install when using iBoot but has no support in SL.
Would be best to buy a supported graphics card. Look on Amazon for an EVGA 8400GS or their GeForce 210 card. Those are natively supported.

The 210 is slightly less performance than the Intel igfx. It does give you 1GB of vram though and should work all the way up through High Sierra if you plan on moving up from Snow Leopard to something newer.

Last edited:
Your HD2500 grpahics (i3-3220T) is not fully supported by Snow Leopard. Would be best to buy a supported graphics card. Look on Amazon for an EVGA 8400GS or their GeForce 210 card. Those are natively supported.

Cheers for that.
Might be a problem as I only have a single PCI-E x1 slot on the board. The funny thing was that first boot up with 10.6 it worked. I'm plugged into the HDMI port at the moment not the VGA. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Might be a problem as I only have a single PCI-E x1 slot on the board.
Yes, that is a problem. The other option you have is to use a CPU with HD3000 graphics instead of HD2500. HD3000 is supported in 10.6.8. Look for a used i3-2125 on Ebay. Shouldn't cost much and will work with your MSI board.

Looks like MSI made a Rev. 2 that does have the full size PCIe x16 slot.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Groovy. I'll do that. I was planning on getting an i7 CPU for it at some stage.
Thanks again for the advice.
Looks like MSI made a Rev. 2 that does have the full size PCIe x16 slot.

View attachment 510795
I think like a lot of people who start up in the Hackintosh game you go in a bit blind. I got my board cheap with the CPU and memory for about £40. I've been a iBook & MacBook Pro user since 2005 and just wanted a cheap way to organise all my external hard drives into one case.

I've had a look at the CPUs that are compatible with MSI H61I-E35 (B3) all the Ivy Bridge ones are HD2500, but the HD3000 ones are Sandy Bridge. Not sure if that's going to work with Snow Leopard.

Not sure if that's going to work with Snow Leopard.
Snow Leopard came out in latter 2009, before Sandy Bridge was released and way before Ivy Bridge existed. That's why a 3220T and HD2500 graphics are not supported. Support for Sandy Bridge HD3000 (older than HD2500) was added with SL 10.6.8. in July of 2011. That's why Sandy Bridge CPUs will work, at least when they've got HD3000.

There are two tiers to integrated graphics. HD2000/HD3000 released in 2011. HD2500/HD4000 released in 2012.

The HD2xxx igfx were less powerful than HD3000 and HD4000 versions.

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. That's great. I'll give that a crack then. It's a great webpage you guys have here.
Thanks TRS.

Update: I recently updated to a Intel Core i5-2500K - 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor. I know its a Sandy Bridge, but I used the Ivy Bridge iBoot. It booted to the OSX SL that was already installed previously .
I went to run the OSX 10.6.8 Update and it went into the dark grey panic kernel.

I rebooted with an older version of iBoot and did a fresh install. Now it just get stuck on the Apple logo.
I looked at the Download page and wasn’t too sure which iBoot to use for Snow Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back