Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
iMac, MacBook, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac, LC, Performa, Power Mac, PowerBook, Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
My iMac left me without saying goodbye . . . but I had lot of work to finalise on the harddisk, and my application, too.
I created an image from the "Macintosh HD" in my Linux box, and than I had looked for the way, how to run the Mac OS X in a VM. But every where on the Internet one can find only how to install a new (even old Snow Leopard) Mac OS X on to bare metal. Well, after some bitter attempts to follow some sporadic advices, I found this way:

On Linux box (debian - linux stable=Buster, v. 10 kernel 4.19) I have installed qemu 3.1.
Here on I found and downloaded iBoot.iso, and prepared the qemu start command script:

#!/bin/bash

qemu-system-x86_64 -name SnowLeopard -enable-kvm -machine type=q35,accel=kvm -m 3072 \
-cpu Penryn,kvm=off -smp cpus=2,cores=2 -device VGA,vgamem_mb=256 \
-boot order=c,once=d -no-fd-bootchk -smbios type=2 -serial none -parallel none \
-device isa-applesmc,osk="the.secret.string..." \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,drive=sda -drive if=none,id=sda,format=raw,snapshot=on,file=iBoot.iso \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.1,drive=sdb -drive if=none,id=sdb,format=raw,snapshot=on,file=MacintoshHD.dd \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=sdc -drive if=none,id=sdc,format=raw,snapshot=on,file=DatadiskHD.dd \
-net nic,macaddr=D0:50:99:61:97:60,model=e1000-82545em -net user,restrict=off \
-usb -device usb-host,vendorid=0x04f3,productid=0x0235 \
;

The last line shows how to connect an extra USB mouse*) because the Mac OS X does not correctly recognise the "pointer" data sent by hypervisor (most probably PS/2 format).
The screen resolution is limited to 1024x768, not accelerated, but for DTP work it is sufficient and better then nothing. (Passthrough can improove it)
The legal note: I derive my claim to use the Mac OS X from the fact that I actually own the iMac hardware even dead, and I have it under the table - hence I use the software on the Apple HW (even running in VM).

*) of course you have to put in the vendor/product ID of your USB mouse, and chown your-user:your-group /dev/bus/usb/00X/00Y to give the qemu the chance to capture the mouse data.

Last edited: