Contribute
Register

Snow leopard on Intel Mboard. Some observations about install problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel DP55wg
CPU
I7
Graphics
XFX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm still very clueless about this whole thing, but I wanted to post some observations that might help someone who is having difficulty.

1. When you boot the Iboot CD, and you're ready to insert the Apple Snow Leopard CD, wait 10 seconds or so for the drive to read the Apple CD before you hit F5. Once you hit F5, wait a bit, select the Snow Leopard CD, and continue. Take your time. When I rushed through this process, I saw panic screens. On my system (which is an I7), things ran pretty slowly, and it was easy to assume that things had hung when they were running fine.

2. The SATA port that you use for your hard drive seems to matter. I had hangs and panic screens when previously I was able to install Snow Leopard without difficulty. This happened when I moved the SATA port for the hard drive that I planned to use. I moved the port to SATA 0, and things worked perfectly.

3. DO NOT use Software Update to update Snow Leopard to the latest version so you can get Yosemite. It will break your functioning install. Follow TonyMac's advice on doing the upgrade. I hosed my initial installation this way.

4. Having a completely blank, unformatted, unpartitioned disk made the disk invisible to Snow Leopard. Putting a windows partition on the disk seemed to help.

5. Do NOT use a wireless keyboard. The F5 rescan of the Apple CD would not work. Use a wired in keyboard for the initial install.

All of these comments might be wrong and coincidences tied to some other issue, but I figured I would mention them in case anyone else was getting a headache with failed installs. Right now, Snow Leopard is installing without a problem.

Thank you for taking the time and noting this information RS. I will heed your advice in my upcoming Snow Leopard build, which will be in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back