Contribute
Register

Snow Leopard nVidia GeForce GTX 460 problem !!PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z87m-d3h
CPU
i7-4771
Graphics
Nvidia gtx1050
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I installed Snow Leopard successfully, all my other ports work, audio, Network etc but i am unable to change the resolution of my screen and so on. What do i do to fix this? Please help i tried everything on the one post on how to fix it except for DSDT because i dont understand that. if i need to do DSDT please give me steps on how to fix it, even if its just basic steps and not in-depth steps.

It Would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks so much

hi there,

i have this card working in lion. i also did have it working with snow leopard. happy to help you if i can. could use more info (motherboard model, install method - i assume multibeast, connector to screen - HDMI, DVI, etc)

i'm guessing resolution is stuck at 1024x768. basically your OS isn't recognizing the GPU properly, so we figure out why and fix :)

might be able to get you going with DSDT - not an expert by any means but i've pulled it off a few times.

edit: oh also card make, VRAM etc would be good to know

I'll try to give you some basic information.

The DSDT is a file that tells the OS what hardware you have. You have to decompile the DSDT.aml file to edit it. There are tools to extract your DSDT and edit it, I think one is MacIASL. Unless you have a UEFI motherboard (i.e. one of Gigabyte's newer x77 series) you probably have a DSDT in /Extra. Note that it will be the human-unreadable .aml format in /Extra. Do you know where this DSDT came from? If you use tonymac unibeast/multibeast, you may have downloaded it from the tonymac dsdt database.

However the thing about graphics cards is that MOST graphics cards "just work" because chameleon (tonymac calls their branch of chameleon "chimera") detects the graphics card when you specify GraphicsEnabler = Yes in your org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra. You can try experimenting with the resolution in the same org.chameleon.boot.plist file with a version of the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>

Of course you'll want to choose a resolution (1920x1200) and color depth (32-bit) that your monitor actually supports.

If you have no idea where your DSDT came from, that would be one trouble-shooting path to go down. If there is a dsdt in the tonymac dsdt database for your motherboard, I would strongly recommend using it.

If you have GraphicsEnabler=No in your chameleon boot plist, you might try setting it to Yes, and/or you might try defaulting your Graphics Mode. (note that for nvidia cards sometimes GraphicsEnabler=No works BETTER, I have a Radeon card so I'm less familiar with nvidia cards)

Typically on most recent motherboards chameleon auto-detects the card pretty well without having to do too much, so you might make sure you are using the most recent chameleon/chimera. If you used multibeast, did you use the most recent version?

Finally, be aware that you can set different boot arguments (e.g. GraphicsEnabler, Graphics Mode) when you boot up to test them by hitting any key when you see the boot option screen after your machine posts and before you boot Mac OS X. One good option to set is -v, verbose mode, so you could set

-v GraphicsEnabler=Yes "Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x32"

to see if that helps. Once you figure out that you have the right settings, set them permanently in the chameleon boot plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back