AMD Sapphire Radeon 6850 (Toxic)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Guys.

I'm getting to the point when I am almost ready to build. I will be building a Hack running SL 10.6.8. i don't really care about updating to Lion of MLion, my main reason for the build is for high res digital painting with PS CS6.

I have been acquiring parts over the last few months as and when I was able. When I put my specs together it was about June or so of last year and i purchased a evga nvidea gt520. I know that I must have seen that this card was listed as compatible somewhere back then as i researched EVERYTHING carefully and did my homework. But, for some reason, it now seems that EVERYWHERE on the hack forums says that this card (and the gt5xx cards in general) is NOT good for SL and is only now just supported in Lion and MLion ; \

So: I think I am going to have to say goodbye to $60 and take my lumps on that perticular bust.

I have since hit the web again in a quest for SL 10.6.8 compatible cards that are pref' OOB full functioning.

I'm probably leaning toward AMD cards as the compatibility factor seems higher and the hardware wiki tends to back that up. It looks like the Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB (http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-E-Video-100315L/dp/B0047ZGIUK) seems to be a good choice if a little pricier than i would have liked but at this point i don't care, i just want to maximise my chances of getting this thing up and running and being the kick ass painting beast I've always wanted.

Any help, words of advice or guidance will be much much appreciated (and my apologies for yet ANOTHER thread on bloody GPU compatibility...lol)

Thanks.

Okay, so after a little more research i DID go for this card and more specifically the Sapphire Radeon HD6850 Toxic which maintains the original reference design of blue PCB, dual DVI, HDMI and 2 mini display ports. The reference design card appears to be pretty much plug and play for most people with a little tweak of the framebuffer personality (if some ports are acting up)

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1037&lid=1&pid=973

Here's hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back