i7 3970X
Graphics
Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi bamim2 (and anyone else who might be able to help) - I'm stuck.

I have an Asus Sabertooth x79, Radeon HD 6870 and had successfully installed Snow Leopard using MultiBeast 3.10.1 with an i7-3970x. I used the "GraphicsEnabler=..." command on install, learned to blag the time so that the 10.6.8 update went smoothly etc. etc. - no worries!

Then I came across an E5-2697v2 and thought I'd try my hand at the Ivy Bridge install which I initially performed on a (very old) OCZ 60gb SSD.

The install and update (performed as above) appear to work smoothly all except from the fact that it won't allow me to eject the boot CD nor shut down or reboot upon completion. When I then shut it down manually (using the power button) it won't start up again or restart without the CD. From there it won't start up again without the CD and with the CD in place, it starts automatically without offering the option screen though appears to be very 'unstable' when running.

After a lot of messing around (re-installs) with no success, I then created a Lion install using UniBeast on an old Mac Mini and thinking that I could maybe 'leapfrog' to Lion ignoring the Snow Leopard failure.

It didn't work and several flash drives, installs etc. etc. down the line, I can't get the system to boot from anything but the 1.1.0 CD.

With only the Snow Leopard install to work with, I most recently rebooted to the Installation CD, went into Disk Utility, unmounted my system drive, opened Terminal and ran the command as per attachment with a downloaded copy of boot1h sat on a flash drive.

20191201_173830.jpg

You might realise from all this that I know little to nothing and I'm doing a lot of this stuff rote however from what I see of the Terminal window, I'm assuming that the boot1h has successfully transferred to the system drive though I honestly can't tell for sure coz I don't really understand this stuff!

Nothing works; the updated system remains installed though it won't boot without the 1.10 CD and it remains unstable when running with various items of hardware (mainly the DVD player once its booted) dropping out randomly.

I hope I haven't waffled too much here and I would be really grateful if anyone could offer any insights as to what I may be doing wrong or if I've mis-understood the Terminal or whatever...

Just as a footnote, I've tested the CPU in another machine and its all good.

You can always download Yosemite or El Capitan on your working SL system and then make an installer (Unibeast) for that version of macOS to install on your Ivy Bridge system. No support for IB in Snow Leopard so it's better to run a newer version of macOS anyway. Make a UEFI rather than legacy installer if your mobo has UEFI which I think it does.

Thank you trs96.

I'm away from home now for the week but will try this next weekend when I'm back again.

I know that somewhere along my 'journey' (can't remember exactly when) I was not allowed to run a UEFI installer due to the age of my GPU and the Sabertooth doesn't have built in graphics.

I have a later GPU which I can hopefully use to experiment with and I'll post the results.

Cheers

I'm late, but it's important to me knowing this.. which SMBIOS did you use for your i7-3970X on Snow Leopard? Mac Pro 5,1 or iMac 12,2?
I'm really sorry that I haven't been back to this but I work away from home most of the time. I gave up on the E5 and went back to the i7, using just the GraphicsEnabler=No command for the install of Snow Leopard, smbios Mac Pro 5.1

It all worked but was lumpy and from what little I know the system was running at 32bit coz the System Profiler was only showing 4gb of memory even though I had 32gb installed.

Eventually I decided to try a Mountain Lion install and it's amazing. As I've indicated above and as is probably apparent, I really don't understand a lot but I'll list what I've done to get things working for me in the hope that it might help someone.

Hardware:
Asus Sabertooth x79
Intel i7-3970x
Radeon HD 6870
32gb Corsair RAM
1tb Crucial SSD
StarTech PEXUSB3S44V
Sonnett Tango FW800

To get Mountain Lion to install:
UseKernelCache=Yes npci=0x2000 -f -v -GraphicsEnabler=No

Initial boot from system drive:
UseKernelCache=Yes npci=0x2000 -f -GraphicsEnabler=No

Once into the system I ran MultiBeast 5.5.5, then MultiBeast 4.7.0 and then updated the org.chameleon.Boot.plist as per the attached pdf

I hope this helps someone and I'm eternally grateful to all at tonymacx86 for the stuff they do here; with a few other tweaks I'm now running Logic Pro 9, Director's Cut... the works without so much as a cough.
Of course if anyone who reads this sees something that I've done that's really dumb then I'm always open to positive criticism.
Cheers

Attachments

• ML MultiBeast Stuff.pdf
    49.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back