CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Okay So I tried building a computer back in October. However, one of the parts didn't work and that day was the last day to call amazon about a return. So I returned everything. (didn't wanna chance it.) and I ended up getting an HP H8xt on black friday. Is there any way to install snow leopard AFTER you already have windows 7 installed. I will do a fresh install if I have to. However, making a new partition and moving over to that one would be a pain in the butt. Is this possible? Do I have to just wipe my hard drive and install SL

TechTubeCentral said:
Okay So I tried building a computer back in October. However, one of the parts didn't work and that day was the last day to call amazon about a return. So I returned everything. (didn't wanna chance it.) and I ended up getting an HP H8xt on black friday. Is there any way to install snow leopard AFTER you already have windows 7 installed. I will do a fresh install if I have to. However, making a new partition and moving over to that one would be a pain in the butt. Is this possible? Do I have to just wipe my hard drive and install SL
There is a way to do it, but it has a downside. You can't update using Apple updater. You have to download discrete update files like combo update to update anything.
You may or may not get other Apple devices to synch with your hackintosh.
You may or may not be able to use iCloud or the App Store.

That said, you can go ahead if you want.
You need another hard drive (USB external, eSATA etc.) that you can install OS X on. Then you can use the Win7 disc manager tools to shrink the Win7 partition on your Win7 drive for a partition for OS X- leave it free space.
Connect the external drive.
Istall OS X on the external drive.
Use disk utility to format the MBR partition on the Win7 drive MBR Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Use disk utility to create an image of your external drive.
Use disk utility to restore the image to the Win7 drive OS X partition.

Use the external drive for bootable back-ups or erase it and reformat it - your choice.

If you decide to do it right and reinstall Win7, then http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html
or viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872 will get you there. Note that you can install Win7 on partition 1 rather than partition 2 if you want. Either OS can be installed first, but I generally recommend Windows first so after you finish updateing and MultiBeast-ing (is that a word?) your install you are done.

Crazy as it is I don't have an external hard drive. Can't I just make a new partition, use iboot, install snow leopard on new partition, use iboot, go to terminal and change the MBR?

TechTubeCentral said:
Crazy as it is I don't have an external hard drive. Can't I just make a new partition, use iboot, install snow leopard on new partition, use iboot, go to terminal and change the MBR?
No. Snow Leopard will not install on MBR, it requires GUID partition tables.
Got a 8Gb or larger flash drive handy? If you remove all the language files and printer drivers and slim down your install you can install it on a flash drive - takes about 7.5 Gb of space.

So I am getting some where... Thank you. I have my Win7 HDD the way I want it is in two partitions. one is 400gb and the other is 100gb (I do have a ghosted backup of my WIN7 in-case) I. I am currently installing Snow Leopard 10.6 on to a USB Flash Drive with 10mins to go. I will run the OS update and then Multibeast. How can I take the flash drive OSX install and place it on the 100gb partition and then dual boot? I am guessing chameleon... Can I just use the CCC prog I found vids on???

Thanks Going Bald you rule!

This is where I am confused..

Use disk utility to format the MBR partition on the Win7 drive MBR Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Is that the small space that Win7 creates? I format that??? System Reserved?

djmichaelwenz said:
This is where I am confused..

Use disk utility to format the MBR partition on the Win7 drive MBR Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Is that the small space that Win7 creates? I format that??? System Reserved?
No, you use the Win7 disk management or other disk managament tool and shrink the Win7 partition so you can add a partition for SL is you don't already have one.
Then, once you have installed SL to the USB drive and run MultiBeast with either User DSDT or EasyBeast, then you select that partition you plan to put SL on and format it MacOS Extended (Journaled) with disk utility - under options in disk utility you select MBR because it will not let you format it with GUID unless you format the entire drive.
Then you create an image of the SL USB drive and restore it to the SL partition you created.

You say you have a disc image of the Win7 as backup. Does your imaging software image just the NTFS partition or the entire drive? Something else you can try is to have a disk image of Win7 on an external drive, use SL disk utility to wipe and reformat the drive to GUID and partition it, formatting the Win7 partitions MSDOS FAT (both the System Reserved partition and the main NTFS partition), use the Win7 install DVD disk management to format the Win7 partitions NTFS ,then restore the images to the NTFS partitions. You need to make sure that your imaging software does image both the System Reserved partition and the NTFS partition or image them separately. You can then install SL to the other partition without having to install on an external drive first. In theory, this should work, but I haven't tried it myself. I would think it would depend on whether the imaging/restore software was smart enough to be able to restore a MBR image to a GUID drive with hybrid MBR partitions. Something to experiment with when you have time.

Thank you!

So here is where I am... Kinda stuck.

I have been reading your advice and watching this vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NftbLZi8-CE

At the time where in the video it is shown that there is an error and to not worry about it and reboot.. I didnt get an error?

I restarted and tried to do the 10.6.8 update and had an error..
My hack shows I am running 10.6.3?

I ran multi beast and I did not see any options for my motherboard? I ran everything else pretty much.

I got to where it wanted to install a network controller and I agreed and I beleive I have ran it twice now. It wanted a reboot... Somehow I think I had internet going before I ran the update? Safari opened??

I have never used a mac fyi. I do technical support on Windows...

I am running OSX off of a 16gb thumbdrive and its slowwww

So as of right now I cannot
1.Change the display settings to fill the screen only 1024x768 avail..
2.Boot without the iboot disc in drive I get a hit power button message
3.Cannot boot into windows using iboot? I think its because of the ACHI
4.I cannot see where it says under options in disk utility you "select MBR" (I erased my pre shrunk 100gb partition and formatted journaled
5. Do I have to turn ACHI mode off to run Windows?

Right now there is one physical actual Hard Drive (thumb drive is in usb slot too) my actual HDD is 500GB. 400 for win7 100 for osx
The ultimate goal is to put SnowLeopard on the 100gb and keep win7 on the 400.

Does multi beast actually install onto the mac HDD?

I am using a bootable win7 USB external drive w. Norton Ghost 11 to do my cloning... I will look into it further

Thanks again!!!!!

Ok re-ran the update and this time it was successful, minimized it... Installing multibeast now... Dont see gigabeast though??

I get a white screen with an apple and then it says you need to restart your computer hold power button. I do see the Tony Mac Apple without the disc..

I have one 500gb sata drive and one 16gb thumb drive with SL on it...

Ok, getting better at mac as we speak. I think I might have fixed the cant boot without Iboot disc and I might have just gotten the driver for my graphics card... Wait I installed it from here http://www.osx86.net/video-graphics/126 ... -lion.html and it said it installed??? I am really not a mac guy! My 24 inch display has a black 1.5 inch border and all I can do is choose 1024X768..AHH

... Now how to clone the slow as hell thumb drive back to my 100gb partition? I will keep searching...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back