2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
El Capitan. I added another Noctua fan to my case (front fan). hooked it up to a spare header on the mobo. According to Stats, it's MBFan1.

But this MBFan1 seems to be running at half the speed 900rpm, vs my other (2) fans running at 1900rpm (average).

So I downloaded smcFanControl software, thinking maybe I can adjust the speed of MBFan1 and bump it up to 1900rpm just like the other fans.

Launch smcFanControl and it's a good thing I have my computer case open... because my CPU fan just stopped! I quickly open the control panel of smcFanControl in an attempt to move the slider to the right... (it was positioned all the way to left, at 0rpm). Nothing! No change. CPU fan still off.

I quickly hit the power switch to shut down the computer, and restart it again. Made sure deleted this smcFanControl program from my system.

Question: Any other ideas on how I can make this new fan I added run at 1900rpm?

I have to add, the fan is 3-pin, and it's plugged into mobo headers that is 4-pin. But there is keyslot in the header on where I can plug a 3-pin header.

El Capitan. I added another Noctua fan to my case (front fan). hooked it up to a spare header on the mobo. According to Stats, it's MBFan1.

But this MBFan1 seems to be running at half the speed 900rpm, vs my other (2) fans running at 1900rpm (average).

So I downloaded smcFanControl software, thinking maybe I can adjust the speed of MBFan1 and bump it up to 1900rpm just like the other fans.

Launch smcFanControl and it's a good thing I have my computer case open... because my CPU fan just stopped! I quickly open the control panel of smcFanControl in an attempt to move the slider to the right... (it was positioned all the way to left, at 0rpm). Nothing! No change. CPU fan still off.

I quickly hit the power switch to shut down the computer, and restart it again. Made sure deleted this smcFanControl program from my system.

Question: Any other ideas on how I can make this new fan I added run at 1900rpm?

I have to add, the fan is 3-pin, and it's plugged into mobo headers that is 4-pin. But there is keyslot in the header on where I can plug a 3-pin header.

smcFanControl is designed for real Macs, not hackintoshes; not only that, but it's intended mainly for notebook computers. You're lucky you managed to prevent your CPU from burning itself out.

Some system BIOSes give you control over fan speed; maybe you can set it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back