Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just wondering,

apart from the wiki information about this topic, any suggestions what would be the most reasonable system definition to be used on the actual sandy bridge boards?

Beyond pure cosmetical issues in system profiler:

What are the effects of the new iMac and MBP descriptions on the specific boards?
What did YOU personally observe as differences on your specific board?
What is your preferred option on what kind of board - and why?

No one?

Alles muss man selber machen... :cool:

Okay, I spoiled my afternoon trying the different options with GeekBench and CineBench.

The system (Z68X-UD7-B3) is as in my signature and profile.
Installed is from scratch 10.6.3 ->CU10.6.7 with MultiBeast 3.7.1 userDSDT.
DSDT autopatched with the new Z68 patches my MaLd0n (thanks mate!).
Chimera 1.4.1, Audio 889, Realtek Network kext.
No kext installed for HD5770, using "GraphicsEnabler=yes", 64bit.

The table shows significant differences between options but no surprising result.
MacPro 3.1 still seems to be a good standard.

No values for MP 4.1 and 5.1 as the system was not bootable any more after installation, already the shutdown after MB application ended in the "you have to restart your computer..." message.

So these are some visible effects. Any other experiences with system behaviour under different options?

Attachments

• SMBIOS SysDef Performance.jpg
    SMBIOS SysDef Performance.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,080
Update after the Update :cool:

What is new after the 10.6.8 Update?

Well, values have equalized, just the MBP 8.1, iMac 12.1 and iMac 12.2 are significantly slower.
MacPro 4.1 and MacPro 5.1 still panic during boot.

And here are the results of the European jury:

Edit: Clarification: Values in brackets represent 10.6.7, without 10.6.8 ;)

Attachments

• 10.6.8 SMBIOS update.tiff
    342.1 KB · Views: 1,001
This is very interesting. I have not yet tried to understand why this makes any difference to how well the machine runs, but it's great to know that there is a significant difference and that 3,1 is the way to go for now. Very informative. Thanks for your effort.

Have you done any checks with this since Lion? What do you personally use? I'm so confused as to why it really matters anyways... (I know it's a PWM issue)

Very interesting.......... i use MacPro 3.1 , never had any problem.. with my X58 and my Z68 MOBO's , wanted to change to 12.1 in Z68, but reading this, i think not !

ar13 said:
Very interesting.......... i use MacPro 3.1 , never had any problem.. with my X58 and my Z68 MOBO's , wanted to change to 12.1 in Z68, but reading this, i think not !

Did a bit of tweaking around, I'm runing 12,2 right now with no issue. If anything a bit smoother overall. Geekbench up *slightly* (~600-1100). Though seems that CPU is actually being throttled which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back