Contribute
Register

SMBios 19.x - iMacs 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to hear from someone with the same motherboard of mine and see if the NVRAM also works natively or emulated?
When I created this post, my NVRAM was emulated, but now everything works perfectly natively.

I've got a Maximus XI Hero, no wi-fi version. BIOS is up to date.
No native NVRAM, need both EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and .rc scripts.

I remember seeing somewhere that if any PCI-E card installed, other than D-GPU, leads to non working NVRAM. Not tested though.

My Gigabyte is also working natively.

Hi, I have z390 asus code, and it is working nvram natively as well. latest version bios.

I remember seeing somewhere that if any PCI-E card installed, other than D-GPU, leads to non working NVRAM. Not tested though.
I have mi RX580, my GTX1070 and BCM943602C connected to PCI, and NVRAM is working.

Can anyone report idle dGPU temps for RX580 running SMBios 19.x? Mine still settles no lower than 45 degrees celcius (dGPU fans still off), and more like around 50. Can that not be lower/better? It's in the 30s iirc running Win.

Inject the framebuffer Orinoco and you’ll see very good power management for DGPU, mine is at 32 watts idle.

Inject the framebuffer Orinoco and you’ll see very good power management for DGPU, mine is at 32 watts idle.

What temperature does that result in on your RX580? Without dGPU fans running I assume.

Please dump the result of this when idle. Then I can compare.

ioreg -l | grep PerformanceStatistics | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n' | grep -i 'Temp\|Fan\|%\|(W)\|Hz|state|(V)|volt|vddc'

Mine says

"Device Utilization %"=0
"Fan Speed(%)"=13
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=577
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=107
"Device Utilization %"=1
"Fan Speed(%)"=13
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=577
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=107
"Device Utilization % at cur p-state"=0
"Device Unit 0 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 1 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 2 Utilization %"=0
"Device Unit 3 Utilization %"=0
"Device Utilization %"=0

Some say Power is not reported right. I don't know. The temperature does seem likely though as it fairly hot at the heat pipes close dPGU - whereas the CPU cooler seems a lot cooler reporting 32 degrees at heatsink.

I thought the RX580 (and variants like the Nitro+) were natively supported and wouldn't require any manual setup like framebuffer patching. I'm using WEG and lilu on a vanilla install (latest os, clover, kext and drivers). OS reports RX 580 just fine, and no probs using it besides the power management not being great. Would love if some fix could make dGPU power management work better, so any tip is highly appreciated.

What temperature does that result in on your RX580? Without dGPU fans running I assume.

Please dump the result of this when idle. Then I can compare.

ioreg -l | grep PerformanceStatistics | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n' | grep -i 'Temp\|Fan\|%\|(W)\|Hz|state|(V)|volt|vddc'

Mine says

"Device Utilization %"=0
"Fan Speed(%)"=13
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=577
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=107
"Device Utilization %"=1
"Fan Speed(%)"=13
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=577
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=107
"Device Utilization %"=0

Some say Power is not reported right. I don't know. The temperature does seem likely though as it fairly hot at the heat pipes close dPGU - whereas the CPU cooler seems a lot cooler reporting 32 degrees at heatsink.

I thought the RX580 (and variants like the Nitro+) were natively supported and wouldn't require any manual setup like framebuffer patching. I'm using WEG and lilu on a vanilla install (latest os, clover, kext and drivers). OS reports RX 580 just fine, and no probs using it besides the power management not being great. Would love if some fix could make dGPU power management work better, so any tip is highly appreciated.

No framebuffer patch here, all works.

"Device Utilization %"=0

"Fan Speed(%)"=0

"GPU Activity(%)"=0

"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0

"Temperature(C)"=33

"Total Power(W)"=54

"Device Utilization %"=0

"Fan Speed(%)"=0

"GPU Activity(%)"=0

"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0

"Temperature(C)"=33

"Total Power(W)"=54

No framebuffer patch here, all works.

"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=33
"Total Power(W)"=54

I would be very grateful if you could help me achieve the same low power consumption and temperature on my RX 580 Nitro+. I'm running 10.14.5 with smbios 19,1.

I have no ig-platform-id set currently (was told it wasn't needed with smbios 19.x, 10.14.5 and WEG). Neither any FB Name set under Graphics in clover. You mentioned to "Inject the framebuffer Orinoco". Does that apply still with the setup mentioned here and in profile with hardware used? Quick hint on how to do it? Thanks.

My graphics section is like this as experiment for guessing how to use Orinoco. Is that how to do it?

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>FBName</key>
<string>Orinoco</string>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
</dict>

I'll keep an eye on the temperature now. Currently 43 but is hasn't settled yet I think.

Last edited:
Yes and check IORegistry if you injected the framebuffer, if not check ATI inject true. Real macs has framebuffer injected. I believe that the external GPUs use the default Radeon framebuffer, the one you are using.

what you did because nvram native did not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back